Do hens learn their names?

fpscabs

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Glendora, CA
Being my first post and that we just put in our order for 4 chicks, my wife wanted to know if the pullets/hens will learn their names?

Well my chickens feathers and Eggie seem to have.

i yell out FEATHERS, EGGIE and they come running. It's cute. It takes a while though, and you have to feed them.

welcome-byc.gif

Yes and it is cute,

I say goodnight to each of my girls by name,

and they do learn to take notice. lol... and they are so much fun.

Good luck to you on your adventure, and Welcome.

I was new to this too a few months ago and it is the best thing I have done.

Jena.

Mine have learned their names. They don't always come when called like a dog, but they will at least turn and look at me when I call them by name.

Welcome, fpscabs!! This is a great place to hang out and learn things. Chickens were brand new for me when I got them last year. This crew is surely educating me!

My girls all come to "chick-chick." I wish I'd taught them their names. If I really want them to come, I say chick-chick, and they come RUNNING/FLYING. It is better than any dog I ever had.

Welcome to BYC! Yes I can call to Cleo, Honey and Chicken and they all come running to me. Or I can just talk to one and they will lift their head and cluck at me. They definitley know their names.

welcome!

They do learn their names. All of mine come or answer when I call them. Especially Audrey. but she is the one most often being spoken to because she is the most out going of the group.

Quote:
Mine do this too! It is great! I have noticed that they very much notice voices. If we are all outside together, they will come to the sound of my voice over anyone elses. I have to admit, I love it!!!! Though I do spend the most time with them.

Oh, Welcome to BYC! Glad to have you here!!!
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Hi!!!

Interesting question!!! I can't tell if mine know their names or if they just know that when I am looking at them and speaking in a certain tone that I might have something GOOD for them - but they sure seem to come when I call!
big_smile.png
Ivy, my cuckoo marans, appears to be very responsive to her name...

Back
Top Bottom