Do hens learn their names?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fpscabs, Jan 31, 2009.

1. fpscabs

fpscabs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Glendora, CA
    Being my first post and that we just put in our order for 4 chicks, my wife wanted to know if the pullets/hens will learn their names?

2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Well my chickens feathers and Eggie seem to have.

i yell out FEATHERS, EGGIE and they come running. It's cute. It takes a while though, and you have to feed them.

[​IMG]

3. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Yes and it is cute,

I say goodnight to each of my girls by name,

and they do learn to take notice. lol... and they are so much fun.

Good luck to you on your adventure, and Welcome.

I was new to this too a few months ago and it is the best thing I have done.

Jena.

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    [​IMG] You will love it here and yes mine all know there names. They all think there name is your so perty. [​IMG]

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Mine have learned their names. They don't always come when called like a dog, but they will at least turn and look at me when I call them by name.

6. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Welcome, fpscabs!! This is a great place to hang out and learn things. Chickens were brand new for me when I got them last year. This crew is surely educating me!

My girls all come to "chick-chick." I wish I'd taught them their names. If I really want them to come, I say chick-chick, and they come RUNNING/FLYING. It is better than any dog I ever had.

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Welcome to BYC! Yes I can call to Cleo, Honey and Chicken and they all come running to me. Or I can just talk to one and they will lift their head and cluck at me. They definitley know their names.

8. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    welcome!

They do learn their names. All of mine come or answer when I call them. Especially Audrey. but she is the one most often being spoken to because she is the most out going of the group.

9. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Mine do this too! It is great! I have noticed that they very much notice voices. If we are all outside together, they will come to the sound of my voice over anyone elses. I have to admit, I love it!!!! Though I do spend the most time with them.

Oh, Welcome to BYC! Glad to have you here!!! [​IMG]

10. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

[​IMG]

Hi!!!

Interesting question!!! I can't tell if mine know their names or if they just know that when I am looking at them and speaking in a certain tone that I might have something GOOD for them - but they sure seem to come when I call! [​IMG] Ivy, my cuckoo marans, appears to be very responsive to her name...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by