Do hens normally approach roosters to mate??

lunaticfishboy

Songster
Mar 31, 2022
I was sitting and watching my chickens as usual and my golden laced Wyandotte rooster was trying to flirt with a nearby hen that was not interested. All of a sudden one hen comes walking over and making this very odd trilling(?) noise, comes up to the rooster squats and lets him do his thing.

I felt like I wasn't supposed to see that but has anyone else seen this happen 🥲

I used to have a rooster that was very close to a hen but the hen did not feel the same. She followed the bigger better looking rooster around. So he followed her too. Well at least he got to be an alpha. My mum gave him to her friend who had no rooster where he had all the hens to himself. As soon as he arrived there the hens were screaming with excitement.

@rosemarythyme, some of my pullets do that, too! 😆It started just before they began laying, and they're still at it months later.

They can be a real hazard to navigation when I'm trying to move things in the run. The Whitings True Blue, Delaware and Barred Rock are the three who'll rush into my path, squat and partly open their wings for balance until I put my hand on their backs, stroke them and then give their plush bottoms a pat. After that they fluff, shake and go on about their business (for awhile). They've never met a rooster, guess this is as close as it gets for them...raging hormones, I suppose!😂🤣

I was sitting and watching my chickens as usual and my golden laced Wyandotte rooster was trying to flirt with a nearby hen that was not interested. All of a sudden one hen comes walking over and making this very odd trilling(?) noise, comes up to the rooster squats and lets him do his thing.

I felt like I wasn't supposed to see that but has anyone else seen this happen 🥲
Yep, have seen it happen more than a few times.

Back
Top Bottom