Do hens peck each others eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by new2chicks GBG PA, Aug 22, 2007.

1. new2chicks GBG PA

new2chicks GBG PA Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Three days now this week we have found eggs that have holes punched in them. Most are using the nest boxes and those eggs end up with holes in them. [​IMG] One is using the small built in brooder box to lay and those eggs are always fine. If one is broody will she peck holes in the other hens eggs??? Or is the roo perhaps messing with them??? Quite confusing as for the first week and a half everything was fine.

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I've been wondering this myself. We've had only one broken egg so far. We thought it might have just been an accident from trampling....but...yesterday my son said when he went to check for eggs...one of the hens was in the nest box and she was really vocal and kicking around at an egg in there! I wondered if it wasn't her egg and she might be mad that it was there!! [​IMG]
    Has anyone else seen this behavior?? Seems logical to me! We've just been trying to collect them as soon as possible which isn't hard because we're out there several times a day! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by