Do hens try to mount?

BBQJOE

Songster
Sep 25, 2015
Void where prohibited.
I've got one huge Americauna, and it appears it's either trying to mate with some of the other hens, or maybe attacking. As big as it is, it's about the lowest on the totem pole.
Is this thing a roo?
I have three Americaunas, and some days I do get three blue eggs.

You tell me. Thanks!

That is rooster,or a cockeral.Usually cockerals are low on the totem poles up until they get the guts to fight.But,hens do mount each other for dominance.

They're all the same age.
I can definitely tell my RIR rooster from the rest. He's the only one that crows too.
But this Americauna has no waddles, and not much of a comb as you can see. This is my first time raising Americaunas. It's also got no tail feathers.
I guess I better google some pictures.

I would say it looks to have male neck feathers but the three eggs is confusing. Perhaps one is laying just after you collect one day and then again the next?

Is it also starting to get long feathers like on its neck down just before its tail? It sort of looks like it is in the photo but a little hard to tell. That's the other male feather sign.

As you have three compare the neck and just before the tail feathers on the three. If this one is obviously longer skinnier and pointier feathers in those areas than the other two then you can be pretty sure you have a boy. If all three look the same then possibly a female trying to move up the pecking order. My money is on a boy though.

Last edited:
It also is very much so possible for roosters to transfer into hen,or for hens to transfer to roosster.

I've got one huge Americauna, and it appears it's either trying to mate with some of the other hens, or maybe attacking. As big as it is, it's about the lowest on the totem pole.
Is this thing a roo?
I have three Americaunas, and some days I do get three blue eggs.

You tell me. Thanks!

That is an Easter Egger cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom