Do I clean brooder box after a chick dies to protect the others?

Lindsayshi

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
I am so sad! I lost a chick today. "Chilly Willy" Blue Orpington. She was 1 week today. the temperature has been 90-95 degrees, I was going to lower it today to 85-90.

I have noticed for 3 days that she wasn't feeling well. She seemed to let her wings hang down when the other chicks had them more "tucked up". she had labored breathing and liked to sit in under the heat lamp when the others were sitting away from the heat lamp. And she was often sitting when the others were standing. She was eating and pooping however. I didn't see her drink water but her poop looked as though she had been.

I am sad for the loss, but now I need to shift my concerns toward the well-being of the others.

Should I clean/sterilize the brooder box?
Should I use watered down bleach?
Should I buy Oxine AH?
How long till I put the other chicks in after the cleaning?
Or do I just leave everything as I have been doing and chalk it up to natural causes?

Thanks for your help and advice!

I usually do not clean my brooder out unless the chick has died of a disease or something of the such.

It sounds like it was just weak anyways. There was most likely no way to save it. You did the best you could, I'm sure of it.

A mixture of bleach and water in a spray bottle works great! Be sure to change the litter AFTER cleaning the brooder so one of the bleach mixture is near your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom