Do I have a coop problem?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shaky, Mar 24, 2018.

1. shaky

shaky Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Austin
    My students and I built a chicken coop in the school courtyard. It looks great, well-done, etc. However, we found out afterward that there is a security light that comes on just before dark that lights the whole courtyard.
    The coop itself is dark enough, but will they go into it if the courtyard never gets dark?
    I am suddenly nervous that the chickens won't put themselves to sleep.
    Please advise

CapricornFarm likes this.
  2. Foster's Freehold

Foster's Freehold Songster

Jun 7, 2013
    South Central KY
    I dunno. My chickens are on the roost or in their pile a bit before dusk. Maybe in that few minutes before the light comes on, they'll get the hint. Does the light shine into the coop?

CapricornFarm likes this.
  3. CapricornFarm

CapricornFarm Chicken Tender

Feb 1, 2010
    Southern Virginia
    I think they will likely go to roost. Do you have a secure run?

4. shaky

shaky Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Austin
    I've blocked light entering the coop itself.

5. shaky

shaky Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Austin
    The run is secure.

6. Cheers2Ya

Cheers2Ya Songster

Apr 9, 2016
    North Dakota
    Yes! They will go in! We have a yard light that comes at at night right near the coop that I did not take into account when building, but they still go in at dusk. No issue. You and your students will enjoy the new endeavor! Congrats and thank you for introducing something so rewarding to them.

7. Foster's Freehold

Foster's Freehold Songster

Jun 7, 2013
    South Central KY
    I would think they would get the message. Let us know though. It's an interesting problem.

8. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I know for a fact that the solar lights in the dog run will somewhat hit the coop area on the side where the vent is. I put a night light in the bathroom with them to get them used to sleeping with that light. I'm hoping my train of thought works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: