Do I have a Roo?

What is the difference and how do you know I have EE? Are the Araucana rare?
Also, I looked at my pullets, the black ones have the green sheen of the feathers but the toenails are yellow, not white and
the bottom of feet appear flesh colored not really yellow or white. So I guess I don't have Black Australorp either?
How can the feed store score a 0 on telling me the breeds they are selling?
Maybe they are Black Australorp but mixed?

Flesh colored = white so you're fine, it's an Australorp.

As far as the EE situation is concerned, as a general rule it's best to assume that you cannot obtain genuine Araucanas or Ameraucanas from hatcheries. They are exceedingly rare and expensive breeds with VERY exacting standards of perfection.

These standards of perfection are just not cost effective for hatcheries to bother with trying to meet, and so hatcheries just approximate a bird that somewhat resembles the breeds. Kinda. Sorta. "Eh, they lay greenish eggs sometimes, that's close enough". This is what is referred to in the chicken community as EEs. They are not a standardized breed, and can come in any color, shape, size, etc.

Hatcheries can and do play with these genes like kids with sand-castles. Which is fine. The only problem I have with it is that they lie through their teeth to customers about it. Not fine.

EEs are very colorful and wonderful birds, I have a few of my own. Be proud of owning them, they've earned the right to be called their own name :).

I would say they are Black Austrlorps. And you have one male and one female..which you already know. I have an 8 week old Black Ausrtlorp pullet and she looks just like the one with the small comb. I can even see the greenish tint to the feathers.. Sweet birds aren't they?I love mine.

Back
Top Bottom