Do I have a rooster!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MaestrosMomma, Aug 23, 2011.

1. MaestrosMomma

MaestrosMomma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    A few weeks ago I noticed the tail feathers on my silkie were growing longer and the feathers around her/his neck long. But I thought maybe she was just different because she also has no feathers on her feet and a lot of character on the face. I have taken some pics and was hoping someone here can tell me. This morning I saw my unusual silkie get on top of another silkie and bite her neck. Sounds like a man to me, lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Yes he is a roo he has spurs on his legs, long sickle feathers on his tail, and a big cone and pair of wattles, he is most definitely a roo and him grabbing a hen by the neck and getting on her is mounting her to breed, he may just be a low quality Silkie and that is why he doesn't have feathers on his feet

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  3. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Handsome Man....He's a keeper!!!

4. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    [​IMG] He is so handsome.....

I am in love. [​IMG]

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Awww... He reminds me of my Turnip.... Gorgeous boy!

6. MaestrosMomma

Jul 11, 2010
    Wow, I thought I would be "oh no, I have a roo!", but as soon as I read that I was like WOW I have a roo! LOL....oh this obsession it's crazy. Thank you so much! I am now off to figure out how to tell if I can eat an egg or not. This is all too new for me. I have a boy, awwwww [​IMG]

7. MaestrosMomma

Jul 11, 2010
    Not sure if anyone will read this second question but I was wondering if my new rooster will mate with ALL my chickens (flock is mixed) or just the silkies?

8. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    its a Roo and yes, should mate with everyone.

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Yes, he will probably mate with any hen he can get. And you can eat all the eggs -- it doesn't matter if it's fertilized. It doesn't become a chick until it gets incubated. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by