Do I have all roosters?

Harvest Moon- No, you aren't the only one... I'm a So Cal chicken-holic, too!
lol.png

I'm on the OC/Riverside Co boarder. Where are you at?

Haha NICE!
big_smile.png
I'm in Irvine and compared to where i used to live my backyard is TINEY! a typical So Cal backyard. i used to live in CT untill two years ago. I am actually very surprised that my parents let me get chickens.

Where do you go to get feed and all that jazz, do you go to a tack and feed shop?

Last edited:
Harvest Moon, Yes I live in So. Cal. In San Diego to be exact. We are fortunate in that although we live in a subrban community, we have 3/4 acre on which to play! Here in San Diego you are allowed to have up to 25 chickens as long as you keep them at least 50 feet from any dwellings and our henhouse is easily 100 feet away. They don't say you can't have roosters, but they say you can't disturb your neighbor's 'peace'! So, since we desire to live in peace with our neighbors, we can't have any roosters Of our original 9 RIR's we had 5 left. (the others had gone to the feed store when they started to crow) But last week 2 more started to crow so on Sunday I took them to the nearest feed store, 20 mile away in Santee, leaving us 3 at home. When I got home from my errand, I sat down to a cup of tea only to be aroused by 1 of the 3 remaining starting to crow! I'm renaming our henhouse "The Gentlemen's Club"

Well now it is official, I do have all roosters! Of the 9 RIR's I got on 'craigslist' all 9 have turned out to be roosters! I took the last 3 to a local feed store after being awakened this morning at 6am by their crowing. I have given this one feed store all nine very good looking roos ( they even commented on how nice looking they were) They have had no problem selling them for 5$ each, and I have bought all my feed and equipment from them, yet when I asked today if they could give me any kind of credit, they refused. So I just take that as a total loss and be thankful that I have the five small chicks that all seem to be pullets. At least I don't have to worry about integrating the younger ones to any older ones!

Regarding roos. Has anyone heard of the tail theory?

The short tales are rooster, while the longer ones are pullets?

I have two of my seven that look different. They are only coming up to three weeks. Too early to tell?

They all get the combs right? Most don't have them and a few do. I am confused. They are all the same age, not breed though.

Back
Top Bottom