Do I have an Americauna Rooster?

Rogalamy56

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 2, 2012
I ordered Americauna Hens, but I think I have a Rooster! He/She has NEVER crowed, I think they might be 5months or so, I can't remember. I raised them, and I had a busy summer. The hens haven't started laying and I think that maybe they are getting ready to lay and that's why he/she started crowing. I didn't think I had a rooster because it's so friendly and it never crowed! It's twice as big as my hens, is the only white chicken, has a green shimmer on the tail feathers and the comb is RED! It's very vocal now!!

My Americaunas follow me, the are not aggressive, and come when called. I handled them a lot as chicks. They are sort of flighty but when they notice it's me, they all come running. If this is a rooster will it become aggressive? Do I have to separate it? How do I keep him quiet?

Checking out the ladies!

Wasn't happy being separated....

Giving me the cold wing!

Last edited:
He is definitely a rooster. From what I know they are typically good with humans but can be a bit rough breedingwith the ladies. Of course every personality is different.

Last edited:
Why he didn't act like a rooster till now? They have to be 5 to 6 months old. Are my hens about to start laying eggs?

He's just reaching maturity. Little boys don't act like men, young chicks don't act like roosters. Your hens look like they're getting redder combs so may start laying soon, or it's late enough in the year they may wait until spring.

I also received an Americauna rooster identical to yours. My pullets also are simular to yours. Mine came from a Texas hatchery in March this year. My rooster has been crowing for about two months. It is a different sounding crow than the other rooster breeds.

they are ees. And he should be fine if he's the only roo. But you cant keep him quiet. He will be quieter if there are no other roos around, and I mean for miles. My roos and everybody else's roos do crow offs everyday and you can hear them from a ways away crowing.

Thanks for the compliments! He is beautiful! Our neighbors are 2 or more miles away, I'm positive they have roosters! I guess it's up to my family, I can't hear him when I sleep! I keep him with the ladies, he isn't very aggressive!

Back
Top Bottom