Do I have an EggNapper?

SarahF

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Niagara Falls, Ontario CAN
for the past month or so I've noticed the egg production is down big time. It got to the point where I wouldn't find a single egg in two days (and I have 20 hens!). The nest boxes were all mixed up as if something had been scurrying inside. After a week of this, I did more investigating and found a whole pile of eggs behind some ply wood that was leaning up against the wall!!!
I looked around the coop to see if there were holes for a large animal to get in, but there's nothing! Could a rat be carrying the eggs away? OR could my girls be changing their nesting spots? It seems like ALL the eggs are in this one spot except for my new bantam girls (born this spring). The new girls still lay in the nest boxes.

Odd
hu.gif

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

SarahF

Most likely the girls. Mine will find one hidden spot and all of the sudden they alll have to lay there! I have found nests in the craziest places- now they stay in the coop until they're through laying for the day.

The plywood was in the coop? ( Wish I had such a big coop!) I'd say a rat might get in a small hole but the hole would have to be large enough to carry the egg out and that size hole you should be able to spy. Any evidence of egg breakage? I'd think a varmint would be at least sampling the goodies while stashing them. I'd go with the girls finding a hiding spot:)

Back
Top Bottom