Northern WI
5 Barred rocks
1 RIR
1 White rock
1 Red sex link
3 Black sex links
1 brown leghorn (shes so nice)
1 Australorp

Any Seem to have a ansestry to being aggesive?

Nope
smile.png

I'm assuming they're all hatchery stock. . .

I've heard of a lot of cases of hatchery Rhode Island Reds/Production Reds having really mean roosters, but that doesn't mean yours will be. I've also encountered a mean Black Sex Link hen myself, but that doesn't mean yours will be. Pretty sure that occurrence is rare, but watch for an RIR rooster.
wink.png

No, unless you get a maverick brown egg layer, those breeds are nice birds.
ANY breed of rooster can be aggressive, but the game type birds have the worst reputation.
I have 10 Barred Rock hens because they are just fantastic, fun birds to have around(hatchery stock, of course)-you'll love them.

Quote:
Sorry, you are correct.
I tend to use the term gamefowl loosely and I need to correct that.

I've also heard of aggressive hatchery RIRs, but nope, doesn't mean yours will be like that. I had a very aggressive White Rock from Ideal, though.

It's true there are tendencies within breeds, certainly, but in the end it's an individual thing.

Especially with hatchery birds, which they cross breed all the time. I've even read claims that hatchery RIR should not really be called RIR as they are closer to a production red.

I've only had lousy experiences with hatchery RIR, and have owned all but white rocks, of the ones you listed.

Back
Top Bottom