Do i have anything to worry about?

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
I have a buff orpington who's brooding for the first time, her eggs are due to hatch in the next 4-6 days. I currently have day old chicks in the brooder and i tried to see how'd she react to it by slipping it under her and waiting for it to come out, and she went crazy when it did, didnt want that chick near her whatsoever. I've heard sometimes broody hens will sit on eggs and not take the chicks that hatch out, is this a possibility here? I've had several broody's in the past and i usually slip chicks i get from tsc or such and such under them and they all did fine, so this is new to me, as i never had any reject chicks.

I have a buff orpington who's brooding for the first time, her eggs are due to hatch in the next 4-6 days. I currently have day old chicks in the brooder and i tried to see how'd she react to it by slipping it under her and waiting for it to come out, and she went crazy when it did, didnt want that chick near her whatsoever. I've heard sometimes broody hens will sit on eggs and not take the chicks that hatch out, is this a possibility here? I've had several broody's in the past and i usually slip chicks i get from tsc or such and such under them and they all did fine, so this is new to me, as i never had any reject chicks.
Hi, first and foremost do not slip chicks under broody that is still incubating eggs. Let’s say she excepts chicks, she is too far off from hers to hatch and you are running a risk that she will abandon nest in order to take care of the ones you provided. Once hers start hatching ,you may try to sneak the other ones in. She may go either way however be prepared to raise them in the brooder.

Often times I see people blame the broody hen, but really it needs to be a two way relationship. The chicks need to find that warm spot under her, and she has to have that motion under her to flip the broody hormone to the taking care of chicks hormone.

Pipca is right, if you want her to hatch, do not slip chicks under her now. Wait till she hatches those. Not all of the eggs will hatch, and some of the chicks may not make that she hatches. This happens even if you get chicks, with in two or three days, there can be chicks that failed to thrive.

A lot of time, people wanting to be helpful and with the best of intentions interfere too much with the process and confuse both the chicks and hen, and they get upset and take the chicks away.

Chicks can and are stepped on, and most do just fine with it. It is not uncommon when a chick sticks their head out, to get a peck on it to get the chick back under. Let them work it out.

In the beginning I worried about the other layers bothering her, and not enough about me bothering her. Now I just leave them be. Maybe standing just inside the door listening for peeping.

Mine have always left the nest in about 24 hours, those who have hatched have done so, and the rest are a no go. She will make a nest on the floor for them, so I have clean bedding a day or two before the expected hatch.

I really don't think your week old chicks will go under the hen when the others start hatching. They have learned the heat lamp.

Mrs K

Often times I see people blame the broody hen, but really it needs to be a two way relationship. The chicks need to find that warm spot under her, and she has to have that motion under her to flip the broody hormone to the taking care of chicks hormone.

Pipca is right, if you want her to hatch, do not slip chicks under her now. Wait till she hatches those. Not all of the eggs will hatch, and some of the chicks may not make that she hatches. This happens even if you get chicks, with in two or three days, there can be chicks that failed to thrive.

A lot of time, people wanting to be helpful and with the best of intentions interfere too much with the process and confuse both the chicks and hen, and they get upset and take the chicks away.

Chicks can and are stepped on, and most do just fine with it. It is not uncommon when a chick sticks their head out, to get a peck on it to get the chick back under. Let them work it out.

In the beginning I worried about the other layers bothering her, and not enough about me bothering her. Now I just leave them be. Maybe standing just inside the door listening for peeping.

Mine have always left the nest in about 24 hours, those who have hatched have done so, and the rest are a no go. She will make a nest on the floor for them, so I have clean bedding a day or two before the expected hatch.

I really don't think your week old chicks will go under the hen when the others start hatching. They have learned the heat lamp.

Mrs K
These chicks were only 3 or so days old, still had a bit of the umbilical cord poking out, and the chick i stuck under her was a bantam and it stayed under her for a while, and then it came completely out of her and she pecked very hard, chick had a bald spot coming in. It was chirping softly and happily under her, and every time it did she went "BrHHh" like she was disturbed by it. Although i will keep in mind not to slip chicks under a hen until others are hatching underneath her. (I usually did wait, unless she was laying on dud eggs, which in this case she is not. )

Did you do it in the daylight? I have only done it in the dark.

The hen will change her cluck, as the new chicks start moving under her. It will be nearly constant.

As Ridgerunner states - one really cannot say all birds will do .... It does depend on the individual. We are cattle ranchers and over the decades we have observed a wide variance in how cows mother. But only once did we have a bit** that killed a calf. My point is, MOST of the time it works if you do not interfere too much.

MRs K

Back
Top Bottom