Do I have Blue Ameraucana's?

Blue Eager

Songster
6 Years
Oct 30, 2017
I have always been intrigued by the beautiful blue eggs laid by Ameraucana’s. I was hoping someone can help me ID what I am hoping is this breed. I have a total of four & I believe they are approximately 1 year old. I was told they are Blue Ameraucana’s. I have 1 roo & 3 hens, I believe they are two splash hens & either a blue or a black hen.

Please help…I will try to post photo’s.

Attachments

• IMG_6155 (950x573).jpg
    IMG_6155 (950x573).jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6152 (950x912).jpg
    IMG_6152 (950x912).jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 29
Wow! That is amazing! I am soooooo exited to hear/read this! I located the Ameraucan's from a wonderful lady here in NM. I viewed her facility & there was no doubt she was a very experienced breeder. So glad it worked out. You all have brightened my day to say the least! Thanks again!

I just joined BYC today so if it's ok I will copy paste my new member post.

"I have been raising chickens for 3 years. I began this new to me adventure so my wife & I could have fresh eggs, so my first purchase was a hodge-podge of whatever I could find. I was intrigued by the color variations of the eggs produced. Then I progressed to EE & was even more mesmerized by the different colored eggs.

Now I have progressed even further to what I believe are Ameraucana Blues (hope I spelled it correctly), & Lavender Ameraucana’s for their beautiful blue eggs.

I have one handsome Blue roo & 3 hens. The roo is mostly blue with a dark saddle & dark hackles. One hen is black & the other two are splash. All of which are 1 year old (I think).

My 7 Lavenders are about 8 weeks old so I’m anxious to see how they develop.

I joined this great site to learn more about these breeds & hopefully get a positive ID for both."

Splash male and two splash females, other female is blue.

When you breed them you'll get....

Blue x Splash = 50% Blue and 50% Splash
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
Thank you Gray Farms. Can you please give me the %'s with a Blue roo?

I am assuming;
Blue x Blue = 100% Blue
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue & 50% Splash

...& are these the only two color combination?

Last edited:
Yes, you're playing with three colors. This breeding group is commonly referred to as BBS, blue/black/splash. And depending on the combination you'll get different percentages of the color/colors.

Black x Black = 100% Black
Black x Blue = 50% Black and 50% Blue
Black x Splash = 100% Blue
Blue x Blue = 25% Black, 50% Blue and 25% Splash
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue and 50% Splash
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash

Back
Top Bottom