Do I have Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NC Chicken Lover, May 11, 2010.

1. NC Chicken Lover

NC Chicken Lover Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    I hatched this pullet from a blue egg, which I purchased from a breeder found on Ameraucana.org. To make the story short, one of the pullets laid her first egg yesterday, and then another today. To my surprise, her eggs are a beautiful dark green. I thought Ameraucanas laid blue eggs. The first pic is of the hen in question and the second is of her hatchmate. So, do I have Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas? Thanks for any input.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AND FINALLY THE EGG!!

[​IMG]

2. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Well she has got correct leg color and a beard and muffs! The standard says nothing of egg color but the egg is awfully olive colored making me think she was crossed making her an EE.

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree.

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I don't know!! I know that they need to lay a blue egg if they can be shown. She looks like she is an Ameraucana (to my untrained eye), but she could be a cross with a brown egg layer?

5. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    I second what encorepistol said.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My ameraucanas came from reputable breeders as well. Their initial eggs looked just like that. They did blue up as they got the hang of laying. I was in panic mode there at first! One of my four still has a green tint to it, but the other three are going blue.
    Your girl is pretty!
    [​IMG]

7. NC Chicken Lover

Jan 22, 2010
    She is a beautiful little girl!! Now I'm curious to see what the other pullet will lay. Oh well, I tried. The egg, however, is an awesome color!!

8. TheRanch

TheRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Sunny North Florida
    Is it my eyes or does that blue hen have feathered legs??? She is BEAUTIFUL!!

9. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    It looks like an ameraucana to me, and a nice one.

They don't judge egg color and many show winning birds lay a greenish egg. The ideal is as blue as you can get, but until all birds are perfect in every way, I say it's simply a small fault to be worked on in the line.

10. NC Chicken Lover

Jan 22, 2010
    Her legs are clean--no feathers there. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by