Do I have enough ventilation?

How high can they jump straight up? Or should I put in different height bars so they can jump from one to the next?

Every time I have ever checked on them at night they are all sleeping close together lined up on the low roosting bar. They've never pooped in the roosting boxes so far.

Depending on the breed but usually at least 4 feet.
An intermediate height roost works well too.

Then it's a combination thermometer/hygrometer.

suffix meter = measure

suffix stat = from the greek 'statos' or standing. Thermostat is a device to control temperature like on your wall for heating and cooling or in an incubator to maintain set temp.

I do agree that measuring humidity in the coop is a great idea. In doing so I realized I needed much bigger openings.

...okay. Didn't realize it was a big deal but thanks so much for the lesson!

How high can they jump straight up? Or should I put in different height bars so they can jump from one to the next?

Every time I have ever checked on them at night they are all sleeping close together lined up on the low roosting bar. They've never pooped in the roosting boxes so far.

I have three different roosting bars at different heights. The 1st is around 3ft and goes east/west, the 2nd is around 4ft and runs north/south overlapping the first bar, the 3rd bar is around 5.5ft and again runs east/west above the 1st bar. Most of my chickens jump from one to another but occasionally they will fly up to the 4ft bar (straight up), at times they don't make it on the first try. They took a few days too before they were brave enough to jump off, that's why I ended up putting the lowest bar in.

If your roosting bar is only 6 inches off the ground then you're pretty lucky they aren't sleeping in their nesting boxes! You have good chickens
lol.png

My husband added another roosting bar this afternoon. It's about 4'. A few have gone up there and a few have stayed down low so far.

Quote:
I am in Richwood Ohio which should be about the same winter and summer weather as you. Do you keep you ventilation holes open during all seasons? I have a pre-made coop and am having problems with moisture. I have no vents but do have two windows that I leave 1/8" open during the night but it is not enough. Would three holes near the roof line on the front and the back help in this design? How do you stop the rain from coming in? The way my coop is situated, rain comes in the window on one side most of the time.

orriginally Posted by MoonShadows

Windows are not enough. Without some ventilation near the top, the moisture will start to build up. You need the air to be able to flow to the top of the coop and vent out. Without knowing the size of your coop, you could try 3 holes and see if that helps the moisture. If not, try a few more. Mine open all the time. They are covered from inside the coop with hardware cloth, and the rain does not come in because they are situated just below the overhang on either side of the gable roof.

Thank you for your quick reply, The coop is 8' x 10'. I will try some holes starting with 3 on each side.

Windows are not enough. Without some ventilation near the top, the moisture will start to build up. You need the air to be able to flow to the top of the coop and vent out. Without knowing the size of your coop, you could try 3 holes and see if that helps the moisture. If not, try a few more. Mine open all the time. They are covered from inside the coop with hardware cloth, and the rain does not come in because they are situated just below the overhang on either side of the gable roof.
Did you have to close up your ventilation holes because of the sub-zero weather the early part of this week?

Hello
My Coop is pretty large, however the ramp leads to a door that has no cover. I have 4 roosting bars inside and there is really no natural light in the coop. Also the upper back top has a small slid opening and that is the only opening I have other than the door from the coop to the ramp that leads outside. I am concerned about the ramp door. Should I cover it with hardware cloth in the winter or would I be better off enclosing the outer coop area with a tarp and leaving the ramp door opened. the door is below the roosts.

Back
Top Bottom