Do I have retarded ducks??

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
I found this today when i went and let everyone out and looked for eggs. I set this box up so they would Not use it. the weirdos apparently are jumping up, squeezing their big butts down in there and somehow getting out. i think my ducks just aren't right
roll.png

2im9g6w.jpg

lol.png
Too funny. I think they are pretty smart. They almost fooled you! Would you have noticed the eggs in there if you didn't see a duck go in or out of the hole????
gig.gif

They are Muscovies. It was laid on it's side & i assumed because it was up so high that they would not use it, plus the base where the eggs are in the pic is only about 1' x 1'. I've just never seen a "regular" duck use an upright nest box like a wood duck or mandarin.

I set the box up because it didn't have a solid roof on it and it had fallen in right before the last hen finished brooding in it, so i have to fix it before they use it again. it got moved out of the pen today, lol.

Last edited:
oh i dont think so! i will be out with a ladder clipping all the low branches
lol.png

i would HAVE to sit there and catch all those babies or build some kind of soft thing for them to fall onto, lol.

Thats so funny..I can imagine what it must look like - them trying to get in and out of that box......
big_smile.png
I have found some eggs in some pretty weid places...But not like that before!

Quote:
LOL no not in the branches. ROFL!! In holes in the trees!!

In the park in NY where I saw Muscovy's for the first time, they had climbed into this huge hole in a tree and made a nest. I remember I saw mom climbing out of it one day so we hurriedly ran over and looked in and there were a ton of eggs covered with twigs and such that she had brought into the tree.

I remember saying to my husband, "since when do ducks nest in trees?" LOL And of course I wasn't even sure they were ducks because I had never seen such funny looking things before.

Back
Top Bottom