Do I have roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hills0816, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Hills0816

Hills0816 Out Of The Brooder

We have a mixed flock of 17! 5 Buff Minorcas, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 5 Rosecomb Brown Leghorns, and 5 black Australorps! We ordered all pullets but now wish we ordered a roo too (hehe). Because they are going to be free range and would want a protector. A we are going to get a too but we can't seem to figure out if we have one all ready. Some seem to be by they way the look and some that don't look like one act like one. We can't get a solid answer on when forsure you know it's not. 8weeks, 12 weeks, 15weeks? Or just if they for start laying? When they were about 3 weeks one had shorter wing feathers then the others. And thought at the time maybe he was. My husband makes fun of me cause ok always saying each chicken could be a rooster and trying to research it. But I can't figure anything out! We want to find out ASAP so we can get a young roo to grow up with us as much as possible and to start it's very important task :) please let me know what you think :) no spurs yet I think. But all have a bump about the size of small seed smaller than a bb but bigger than poppy seed. Some of the Minorcas have red combs and black tail feathers. And some of the Brown Leghorns have red combs (one especially) and curved tail feathers. But some of the black Australorps act like bullies and puff up but all look identical. No feather difference or comb /: [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Hills0816

[​IMG]

3. Hills0816

[​IMG]

4. Hills0816

[​IMG]

5. AZChiknGoddess

AZChiknGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Brown leghorns are easy to sex as youngsters. They change colors early. To me those all look like pullets.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All of your birds are definitely pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by