Do I have to buy the egg turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JulieZ, Jul 18, 2010.

1. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Bought my 1st LG incubator a few hours ago. Do I "have too" buy the egg turner or can I turn the eggs 2-3 times a day on my own as they lay on the metal screen? Seems I should make some kind of something to hold the eggs?

I've read so much & thought I had it until the LG arrived home. Where it went after that .... [​IMG]

2. kbeagle

kbeagle CHICKEN AND QUAIL LADY

Quote:You would need to turn the eggs 2-3 timea a day, but i would suggest to you to get a egg turner, and make your life easier. and with the egg turner, all u have to do is check on the water. trust me. GET A AUTO EGG TURNER. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

I always turned by hand when I used an incubator. They say you should turn an odd number of times per day 3 or 5. This is so the eggs don't sit on the same side through the longer overnight period every night. I just laid the eggs on their sides and marked one side of each egg with an X and one side with an O to help keep track of the side.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

You can, & I have turned the eggs by hand. If you buy the turner, you'll be glad you did. It gets tireing turning 3 times a day after a while, & every time you lift the lid to turn the eggs, your humidity is lost. Get the turner. [​IMG]

5. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Is this insane or what? Spending $40 for one part of an incubator, then another $40 for the other & that's on the cheap end ... all for chickens? [​IMG]

I kind of like the personal side of turning the eggs myself B-U-T .............

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:Me too but the first coupla hatches I did there were only 30-40 eggs I work for myself and in between calls I turned the eggs the one hatch where I was turning 68 eggs that is what caused me to shoot the lock off my wallet and buy a auto turner. the last coupla hatches have been so uneventful the last 2 hatches I have had 100% hatches with a hova bator and homemade hatchers [​IMG] good luck

7. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    It all depends. I tried to turn by hand first. I am too scatterbrained for this. I kept forgetting to turn them. I bought a turner and I couldnt be happier. I think it depends on how many irons you have in the fire and how well your memory works.

8. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I use card board egg cartons. I cut the tops off and place them in the bator with some space between them. I tilt them to one side and then the other side and then I lay them flat. That is how I turn my eggs 3 or 5 times a day.... I use a twig under the edge to tilt them. Very easy easy. and they hatch in the egg carton too.... WOW.... so much less mess

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I would recommend one ,especially with a LG they are so touchy that just taking off the lid can cause unwanted fluxuations and worries.

I even added water to mine threw a tube i keep in there so i did not have to open it to add water.

I mainly use mine for a hatcher, as i have a hovabator also.

Good luck, [​IMG]

10. BirdLova

BirdLova New Egg

Jul 19, 2010
    ahhhhh! I am going crazy, trying to figure out the right way to hatch my expensive peacock eggs. This is my first batch, and yes I have already made the mistake of getting "good" eggs for my first run. [​IMG]

Although this website is a Great help, there seems to be So many inconsistantcies in the "right" way to do things.

-let mail order eggs settle 24 hours/ 6 hours/ and lady who sold me eggs says "get them in the bator asap!"
    -humidity 30% / 90% and one lady who sold me eggs says just "keep the water tray full all the time" LOL
    -turn eggs by hand 3 times a day Even with a auto turner/ use an auto turner and never open the bator unless it need water

I have a 1588 so it has a fan, but I am not sure if I should buy the auto turner,
    I can remember to turn by hand, but probably not at the exact same time everyday;
    if I do buy it, should I still hand turn eggs daily also?
    And with or without the auto turner, hand turning the eggs 3 times a day will drop the temp and humidity, so will this be a problem?

It seems like some folks get great results just using a cardboard egg carton and twig to tilt it back and forth, but can it be that simple to get a good hatch rate with all birds?

Anybody reccomend a good reference book that list proven hatch rates and results for time tested methods for incubating and brooding peafoul?

Thanks!

ps- sorry I don't see a spell check tab here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by