Do I have to close the pop door if in a fully enclosed run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Skittleinaustin, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Skittleinaustin

Skittleinaustin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Austin
    I am designing my first coop in central Texas. I am putting a three sided coop in a fully enclosed run that will also have wire mesh underneath. As I'm looking for cost savings, I'm trying to see if I can skip the auto opener and just let them roost as they please inside the coop.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions...couldn't find my answers in the forum searches.

2. chickens? not yet

chickens? not yet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    Only worry, I would think, would be something getting to them and killing them. I know I would worry about them. I don't know if there is any other reason to shut them up or not. Maybe someone else will chime in that knows more than me. Good question

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I'm not quite sure from your description if I understand what you want to do, so pardon my assumption here. You've basically got a box, with an open side, is that it?

Honestly? Build that fourth side. You'll never regret having the resource to shut them in, should there be a problem or the pen needs re-fencing. You will regret, however, when the predators start in and you haven't the time, money or energy to build that fourth wall.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    No, if you are in Texas and the pen is secure you don't have to have an enclosed coop. I am in North Florida and mine are in a completely secure (hardware cloth) pen and I don't have a coop. It's too hot here. I just have a solid wood back wall and partial walls on each side. My top is covered to keep the whole area dry.
    sharon

5. Dirty Farmer

Dirty Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    As long as the pen/run is just as secure as the coop, and predators can't get in either of them, you will have no problems.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don't close my pop door in the summer. My coop is pretty secure. I think the only thread would be a mink or weasel, but I'm willing to take the chance. The chickens want out way earlier than I get up. So if you're certain that your run is predator proof, I wouldn't worry about the pop door, but as previously suggested, I would build the 4th wall and put in a pop door.

7. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, from what I've seen ....bad guys can get in where ya least expect. We have put too much work into raising our girls. I would build "fort knox" and lock them in at night. They can't do it themselves...you are their keeper. Do everything to make sure they are safe at night when sleeping and the most vunlerable. just my opinion.
    Erik

8. jessleeh

jessleeh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    North SF Bay Area
    Quote:i'm with erik on this one. we built a very secure coop & run, and buried the chicken wire a few inches into the ground. I came out one morning to find that some animal had obviously tried to dig under the wire. SO glad it gave up early... it wasn't far from clearing the wire. i wish i didn't have to let the birds in and out every day - i had planned everything so i wouldn't have to - but in the end, i don't want to risk losing the birds i've raised.

9. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    I agree with fireguy56. Bad guys can get in for sure if the pop door is not closed. My gals have a fully enclosed coop and with living in AZ, DH did install A/C so I can keep the windows and human door closed. First , I really didn't think we have too many "bad guys" in our neighborhood. We live in tract housing neighborhood so I feel pretty safe. Well, 2 nights ago I went out to check on the girls and there was a huge rat hanging onto the hard wire (1 x2) on the inside of the run!!! It ran off in a hurry. DH said it could squeeze itself to get in. I am not sure what kind of damage it could do to my sleeping gals, but I am glad their pop door is always closed at night. I say think safety first.

The rat was hanging right by the pop door
    [​IMG]

front of coop
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't close the pop doors in my coops but I have an electric fence around the coops, runs and yards. I guarantee if any critter touches the wire they won't be back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by