Do I have to live with the smell???

My chicken's run (10x10) doesn't stink. It has gravel on the bottom and a slight slope.

The turkey pen last year, now that was a different story. The turkey pen was in a part of my garden and was quite offensive despite tilling it a couple times. I hope the new turkey pen is better, when they finally move in.

I also use sand in the coop....I found this awesome basket type thing that is just a screen material with a frame for $1 (I should buy them out and send them to people here!)....I just go in and sift it each morning, takes about 5 minutes.
Outside, they've got a decent amount of space....and I have 2 out of 3 dogs that eat the poo through the yard, but also just go around with my pooper scooper while I'm cleaning the dog poo, and clean up the chicken poo.
Every once in a while I can smell a faint smell, but barely noticeable. So, sand, dogs, scooper.
smile.png

My ladies are essentially free range. And yes, when wet its a bit "farm yardie" but with DE and a breeze it seems fine. One newbie observation, my older shavers (NZ egg bird) (3yrs) love to dig, sometime 1/2ft or more down and scratch all day... do the birds in sand still have all this native fun?

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. Guess I need to get a yard or so of sand! It honestly is only bad when it is damp or raining. I wish I could add an addition to give the girls more room. Maybe this fall I can get DH on board and we can ad a few more feet. I just love this site!!! Thanks again!

You have gotten some great advice so far. Another trick I came acros by trail is we were having fly issues. I went to the $1 store and got a couple packs of the vanilla air fresheners. I put 1 in the coop and one in the run. I change them once a month. Besides lowering the number of flies, everytime I go out the coop smells, well, awesome. Told my neighbor about it and he laughed b/c he said when the wind blew he would sometimes smell vanilla and couldn't figure out were it was coming from. Worth a try!!
smile.png

The problem is severe when the smell continously coming from the Coop. The smell could be anything really, I've noticed any strong odour from the skins but I've got a Golden Pheasant skin that reeks of Formaldehyde. It might be worth out while checking the skins for mold speckles, But other than that I can't think of anything at the moment.

garden mulch

mulch melbourne

Back
Top Bottom