do I have toms or hens?

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
can someone tell me do I have toms or hens. we bought these turkeys today and we don't know the sex. They are bronzes but we don't know the sex.
100_0225.jpg
I have no idea how old they are just that the man we bought them from said that they are this past summers turkeys

Last edited:
They look like hens to me, the snoods should be longer if the were Tom's.

Looks like the two older are young toms. Should be able to tell by the breast feathers. Yes the snood will be larger as they get older.

Pic of turkey about the same age. The tom is top of pic.

birds149.jpg

Last edited:
I am thinking the little one for sure hen. One is the back a tom and leaning toward tom on the other one. Check to see if any have bumps on legs where a roosters would have spurs which would indicate toms.

if they were hatched this past summer would they be gobbling by now and would they have spurs 2 of these have little nubs like where spurs would be

looks like 2 gobblers to me..no feathers going up the back of the neck to the head,,which most hens have some feathers there....Now the tiny one i cant really say on that one yet..

I know with our wilds, the males chest feathers will always be tipped in black and on females they are normally light brown colored tipping on the chest feathers..

Of course you can see this once they reach a certain age as the males will have light tipping to until a certain age around 4-5 months they then change from lite to black chest feather tipping on males..I think bronze are very simalar to the wilds species..

Charlie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom