Do I have too many roosters?

You are dealing with living animals, no one can tell you for sure how it will work out. We all have different conditions and circumstances, the more room you have the better your chances. But even if yours totally free range with no space limits it still might not work out. In my experience and from what I read on this forum I don't believe breed has anything to do with it.

Time will tell how it works out for you. In the meantime I strongly suggest you prepare your plans. What will you do if it doesn't work out? What will you do if the boys start to kill each other? What will you do if they are so brutal to the girls you can't stand to watch, let alone the girls start getting hurt?

You probably have another two weeks to prepare. Things could start happening that soon. You may not need anything for a month and a half or even longer. It is even possible you will never need it but I would not count on that. When the need occurs you often need it right then, it needs to be ready.

I raise my pullets and cockerels together with the flock which includes a few adult hens and a mature rooster. I have over 50 square feet per chicken outside even when I'm crowded. I have three different coops/shelters they can sleep in if I need to split them. Half the time I have more cockerels than pullets. I typically butcher my cockerels around 5 to 6 months of age so I don't let them go older than that. About once every three or four years I have to separate the cockerels from the rest, it gets that rough. My circumstances and goals are quite a bit different from yours, I can only go by my experience.

I wish you luck. You need to go by what you see, not what somebody over the internet like me tells you will happen. But I strongly urge you to get ready just in case. I think you will be glad you did.

I would watch and see what happens. It would be best to have someone else that could take them in on short notice or have another coop to put them in if they get too agressive. Rosters will almost never fight each other to the death, especially if they are together since hatching, but they could still seriously hurt each other. You could also have an all- boy coop with no females to fight over. If you do that that your roosters will probably not fight as much, or ever since there are no females to fight over. You have a couple options: if all the roosters are super gentle with each other and the hens, you could keep them all together. More likely, your roosters will start fighting each other and you can sell them, butcher them, or keep them in a bachelor coop.

Some people just like roosters too. I have 9 now, and probably a few more will be here by spring

Yes, that's true.

But people should be clear about what they want roosters FOR -- even if only as lovely lawn ornaments.

If there's no specific reason it is likely to be better to not have them, especially at a high rooster-to-hen ratio with all the disadvantages that show up in that situation.

Yes, that's true.

But people should be clear about what they want roosters FOR -- even if only as lovely lawn ornaments.

If there's no specific reason it is likely to be better to not have them, especially at a high rooster-to-hen ratio with all the disadvantages that show up in that situation.
It certainly would be helpful if they said what they wanted roos for as to which they should keep if they do decide to rehome or cull some. Perhaps they just want to be nice and let the roos have a chance at life, which would be reason enough for me, lol, but then they should tell us so. They should probably get some more hens, but only time will tell.

Thank you all for the advice! I am new to raising chickens and have so many questions so I appreciate you all taking time to help me. Right now all 14 babies are pets to us, we play with them everyday for hours at a time. I truly hope we don’t have to kill any of them but I also don’t want a hostile environment for them either. I like the idea of the bachelor pad, I’m going to set that up just in case, I have a big enough space to do that. I’m going to keep an eye on them and make adjustments as needed. Thank you all! I will keep you posted over the next few weeks and let you know how it goes :)

8B95FE83-1C15-4447-9BC8-6A1840817AE6.jpeg
F168BC81-8997-4219-AC73-5E0664F2133C.jpeg
E5C9D1A1-F353-4BFE-AD72-9E0E4E63519C.jpeg

You seem to have a great setup!
Since you have the space, if you do want to keep the roosters,
a bachelor pad would definitely be something to try :)
You could keep one with the girls, and keep the others in a separate coop+run;
That's also a good way to breed,
like if you want certain males to mate with certain females :).
You're definitely gonna have some broodies with those silkies!
I wish you luck!

Back
Top Bottom