Do I keep our RIR Rooster or not?? Please advise!

Keep or get rid of Mac Daddy

• Total voters

Cassie29

Chirping
Mar 27, 2017
Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I have a one and a half year old Rhode Island Red rooster named "Mac Daddy" I kept him out of three roosters that came in a straight run order last year. He has been a fine rooster, he herds the hens around like a pro and is quite the gentleman to them he finds and shares all the yummy treats and sounds the alarm when he feels anyone is in danger, he's hilarious to watch running back and fourth between his groups of hens, I think the girls love him...BUT.... he is kind of a jerk to any person who walks around the coop or turns their back near his hens and I have to hover over my young daughter who loves to run towards the chickens (they're free range so they're all over the place) and my dog fears going outside alone because he's been ambushed one to many times. I've really debated about getting rid of him but I feel bad . Do you think hens would do fine without a rooster? Should I try to work with Mac daddy will he get better with age? Should I get rid of him and try a different rooster, what if a different rooster is worse!? I'm really broken up on what to do please give me your opinions and advise.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
I just went through this decision, although my reason was that my rooster was too loud for my neighbors. It was tough, because I really enjoyed "Red's" personality and protection of the girls. Since aggression is the issue with your boy, I would not hesitate to get rid of him, particularly with kids around. Don't feel bad about it - you have given him a great life for 1.5 years! Not many roosters in this world get to free range with a flock!

Hens do absolutely fine without a rooster. My flock honestly acted relieved when the rooster was finally gone. There was nobody to bother them anymore and they got right back into the pecking order they had before he arrived! It sounds like you free range, though, and in that case roosters do offer protection to the hens. In your case I might consider getting rid of this rooster and trying to find one who isn't aggressive towards humans. They do exist and let's face it, there is no shortage of roosters around!

Bottom line, though... do what is best for the safety of your family. Clearly you care about your animals and treat them well, so do not feel bad about doing in Mac daddy! You have given him a good life.

If he is endangering your daughter, I think it would be wise to get rid of him. The safety of your family needs to come first. I've heard too many horror stories of young children being seriously injured by aggressive roosters. The hens will be fine without him, they may even be happier. In my experience aggressive roosters only get worse with age, once they learn they can push you around.
Some breeds are more prone to aggression then others. RIR are one breed that is known for its aggressive roosters. I would recommend getting an EE, Buff orp, Australorp or wyandotte rooster, if you do decide to get another. Good luck with your flock!

I think you should give him away to someone who just wants a good rooster to protect their flock, who won't mind the aggression. However, there are many benefits to having a rooster. For a free range flock, a rooster will keep on the lookout for anything dangerous, and more. I suggest finding a human-friendly rooster on this site that someone is being forced to re-home due to city laws, and then you can feel good about giving a friendly rooster a home when someone else can't.

Everyone has given good advice. That rooster would probably be great for a lot of people. It sounds like he does a wonderful job with your girls. Unfortunately, he's not the right one for you. A human aggressive roo with a small child is a no-go. If you want to keep a roo (I like to have one around) I'd suggest getting a Buff Orpington chick and letting it grow up with your hens. Between them putting him in his place as he matures and you doing the same, you're odds of having a good roo are pretty good. Better yet... Get a few and when you have a clear winner, re-home the rest and keep that one.

Back
Top Bottom