do I need a ladder?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Daphnetree, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Daphnetree

Daphnetree New Egg

Apr 28, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    My new coop came in and the roosts are lower than the nest boxes, so after reading BYC I am going to raise it higher to 44 inches, do they need a ladder? I have four birds, two marans, a leghorn, a Rhode Island Red, and I getting a Delaware tomorrow, so pretty good size birds.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:I'm going to say no, that's about three and half feet so even the heavy weights should be able to manage that.

Don't know how big your coop is but I don't like ladders, they get in the way. They take up a lot of space, not necessarily floor space but human space. I find they always seems to be in my way.

If they do have trouble I have used milk crates turned upside down or any type of box like that can be easily moved out of the way.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are young birds and unfamiliar with a roost a ladder may help them learn as as they get stronger, they can go higher.
    If they already know what a roost if for, I would not worry.

A word of warning, watch out about going excessivly high with the roost as heavy birds jumping down in a confined area can get a bird injured.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by