Do I NEED a roo?

Are rooster allowed where you live? Many cities that allow backyard flocks specifically prohibit roosters, so this while question may be a moot point.

Honestly, from what you describe that you want from your experience with this flock a rooster had more potential to be a complication than anything, skip having one and enjoy your hens.

Yes. Which was exactly our issue with ours (that was supposed to be a pullet anyway). They don’t crow at dawn, like the old wives tales say.. they start more around 3am and continue most of the morning and early afternoon, and start again at sunset. I’ll be the first one to tell you too, that none of the ideas or items to purchase out there -to limit said crowing- work. We spent a lot of time and made coop revisions- and still had 3 visits from animal control in the few months that we had him that he was old enough to crow. (Thankfully each time they caught me being proactive about stopping the noise, and roosters weren’t “illegal” where we lived so they didn’t REALLY have a leg to stand on as far as taking him or fining us. Ultimately that was our decision when all else failed.) Also, about the time his flock mates were old enough to lay, he became old enough to become aggressive- with us, the dogs, and the hens. He was hand reared like the rest of them who became lap chickens too. Like I said before he was also like a nympho- he wouldn’t leave the girls alone for 10 minutes- long enough for us to enjoy them.. he’d get them upset sending them flying- which can’t happen in a subdivision setting.. (there might be dogs over that fence they just flew up on to to save themselves). He flew at little kids with his spurs out- leaving us in danger of a liability lawsuit..and the possibility of being the cause of someone getting hurt- not our cuppa! Not to mention- chickens poop. A lot. Roosters poop MORE and LARGER piles of it. Not fun in a subdivision sized yard- and while the hens would learn to stay off the deck, he would not. I’m sure that all roosters aren’t as naughty as ours was, but we didn’t have a great experience, and can’t think of any reason outside of chicks- that anyone in a subdivision would want one. Chicks are easy to buy.. roosters aren’t as easy to raise.

Just curious here... would it work to borrow/rent a rooster if you wanted fertile eggs? Have them come in, do their business, and then send them back to the owner. Or would you have issues because of integration? I'd love to hatch eggs, but don't want a rooster for a number of the reasons already listed.
My biggest worry there would be biosecurity and quarantine. Even a healthy looking bird may carry parasites or a disease, which he can share with your flock.

If you want fertile eggs, it's usually easy enough to get some, depending on what you're after.

In my humble opinion, as others have stated, you don't need a rooster to have a happy flock unless you want fertile eggs.

I had one for awhile but ended up re-homing him.

I'm not interested in fertile eggs so for me the rooster was more of a liability because:

1. They are noisy. Not just noisy but LOUD noisy. I live rural and can have roosters but what started out as short morning and evening crowing turned into an all day event. My husband had issues with all the crowing.

2. Even nice roosters can suddenly turn really mean as they age. I felt like I was always looking over my shoulder with my rooster around. He never attacked in the short time I had him but he would certainly give me the stink eye and follow me around. I want to tend to my flock without the fear of injury so this weighed heavy in my decision to re-home him.

3. Aggressive roosters can be a safety concern for children and pets that come in contact with him. In my case, I do have a small dog that I worried about getting attacked.

4. Roosters can be really rough on your hens. Sometimes they pick one or two favorites and before you know it the ladies are missing feathers and may incur wounds from an aggressive rooster jumping on them all day long. A rooster trying to jump an unwilling hen is not a pretty sight!

Those are my top 4 reasons for deciding not to have one around.

If you want fertile eggs, by all means get a rooster but for my situation, I decided the flock protection they can provide was not enough benefit in my opinion to outweigh the what I consider the downside of having a rooster around.

I am just starting my flock in a few days. The ones I am getting are supposedly all girls. Do I need a roo?
If you are allowed to have a cockerel/rooster I think you should get one. They are majestic wonderful creatures and they add so much to a flock. There are some things that you will only see if you keep a cockerel or rooster in your flock, like tid bitting it him courting the ladies. I so miss having a cockerel with my girls. There’s something so special about cockerels and roosters that I just love. If you’re able to have one go for it. It may be best though to have an all hen flock for a year and then introduce a cockerel so that the hens will keep him in line.
To answer the OP's question, unless you want fertile eggs from your hens, you do not NEED a rooster, but they can be great to have around if you can get the right one and the crowing is not a problem.
X2

My biggest worry there would be biosecurity and quarantine. Even a healthy looking bird may carry parasites or a disease, which he can share with your flock.

If you want fertile eggs, it's usually easy enough to get some, depending on what you're after.

That's a very valid concern... My biggest worry is my wife, who wouldn't tolerate the noise in the morning or any aggressive behavior. haha

One of my chicks turned out to be a roo, and I have to say he’s a delight. His personality and mannerisms are so different than the hens, and the tidbitting and wing dance crack me up every time. I love the sound of a crowing rooster (we have a white noise machine in the bedroom so we never hear him while we sleep!) and he also lets me know whenever someone pulls in the driveway. He’s always watching for danger and gives the alarm when there’s a hawk so the girls stay safe. If any of the hens get out of their fenced area he throws a fit so I know I need to round her back up (too many predators for true free ranging). I know they are not for everyone, but I’m glad I have a rooster and think I always will have 1 in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom