Do I NEED a roo?

I've been keeping chickens for about 12 years now and almost always had at least one rooster in the flock, for fertile eggs and also because I like them. A good rooster can be a wonderful part of a flock, as a well as a great pet. I've had roosters that fought off predators to protect their hens and come into my house to say "hello" and come check on me when I was unwell. Depending on breed, temperament and how they are raised, they can have wonderful personalities and be great fun to have around and interact with.

As previous posters said, the crowing can be an issue, especially if you have close neighbours. They are LOUD and they do not half care what time of the day or night it is. I've had my share of 03:00am callers too!

To answer the OP's question, unless you want fertile eggs from your hens, you do not NEED a rooster, but they can be great to have around if you can get the right one and the crowing is not a problem.
He came to check on you when you were unwell? That is so sweet.

Hi,I have a problem with my all girl flock...some of my girls are humping each other like a rooster!! Do I have a bunch of lesbihens? Any reply helps,thank you!
Could have a possible boy in the bunch but this isn’t rare.Hens (Chickens in general) sometimes do jump one another to show dominance could we see the ones doing the jumping?

I've always had roosters in my flock, and wouldn't want to be without at least one.
BUT; Everyone's concerns are valid here!
They crow! My neighbors are fine with it, and in farm country, it's totally legal.
Raising cockerels to be polite with humans is essential.
Be ready to eliminate any cockerels, or cockbirds, who are human aggressive, or nasty to their flockmates. Don't make excuses for a bad boy, or wait until he injures someone.
Small children, especially toddlers, are a valid reason to NOT have roosters. Yet. Maybe later.
It's safest to enjoy your pullets, grow them up, and get some straight run chicks next year. Your hens will help educate those cockerels, and there might be a 'keeper' in the group.
Mary

I am just starting my flock in a few days. The ones I am getting are supposedly all girls. Do I need a roo?
Being a first time chicken keeper. I would suggest a hens only flock for now. Since you want them primarily as pets, it would work better without a rooster anyway. They will be more likely to be dependent on you and friendlier with you. If you have a rooster, they will look to him first. My roosters are good at leading the hens away from me when I am out with them. I am fine with this, as it’s his job to keep them safe.

Hi,I have a problem with my all girl flock...some of my girls are humping each other like a rooster!! Do I have a bunch of lesbihens? Any reply helps,thank you!
Mounting is also a sign of dominant behavior, not just for breeding.

I enjoy having a rooster having a rooster that enjoyed having me was the hard part lol! I went through alot of bad boys before I hatched a prince for the girls. I don't technically need him but he does keep me from tripping on squatting hens and if disaster strikes I've always got fertile eggs to replace casualties or even start anew. I wouldn't recommend one to a new keeper though unless they're just up for some odd challenges and are just dead set on learning about roosters and even then I'd steer them towards a more docile breed like my faverolles boy.:)

Back
Top Bottom