1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need a rooster for my small flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by blondelabchick, Apr 30, 2009.

1. blondelabchick

blondelabchick New Egg

Apr 30, 2009
    Do I need a rooster for my small flock, to protect them and keep them from getting lost

2. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I keep roosters to watch over my girls. but a large drake or goose, or turkey would do the same.

They dont NEED it though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Welcome to the forum.

Most roosters will help protect a flock, but unless you want fertile eggs, you do not need one. The hens will lay as much and will not roam any further without one. And one hen will usually take over a good part of the role of the rooster as far as leading the flock.

4. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Nope, don't need one. I have a real nice rooster,(for a change) and my husband wants me to get rid of him. I said no way, if anyone is going its thats little bantam rooster that thinks he's a german shepard.

5. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from MN

I'm in the city, so no roosters allowed here. Hens lay just fine.

6. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Nope don't need one but their fun, they have cute personalities depending on the type you get. Silkie roosters for example are great with kids and other types of fowl

7. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Hawk got one of hens under the not-so-watchful eye of our big Easter Egger Roo. He is so sweet and lovey! My 6 yr old daught carries the poor boy around hugging and kissing him. Yes, she snuggles to goofy boy! He puts up with all of it! On the other hand, we have a little white Jap and he thinks he is the toughest guy around. He'll start trouble with every chicken out there. Also, consider that you may have beautiful looking hens now but, when you get a Roo he will mess up and rip out her feathers. Unless you can make some nice saddles....

8. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Welcome fom Colorado!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by