Do I need a rooster for my small flock

I keep roosters to watch over my girls. but a large drake or goose, or turkey would do the same.

They dont NEED it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.

Most roosters will help protect a flock, but unless you want fertile eggs, you do not need one. The hens will lay as much and will not roam any further without one. And one hen will usually take over a good part of the role of the rooster as far as leading the flock.

Nope, don't need one. I have a real nice rooster,(for a change) and my husband wants me to get rid of him. I said no way, if anyone is going its thats little bantam rooster that thinks he's a german shepard.

welcome-byc.gif
from MN

I'm in the city, so no roosters allowed here. Hens lay just fine.

Nope don't need one but their fun, they have cute personalities depending on the type you get. Silkie roosters for example are great with kids and other types of fowl

Hawk got one of hens under the not-so-watchful eye of our big Easter Egger Roo. He is so sweet and lovey! My 6 yr old daught carries the poor boy around hugging and kissing him. Yes, she snuggles to goofy boy! He puts up with all of it! On the other hand, we have a little white Jap and he thinks he is the toughest guy around. He'll start trouble with every chicken out there. Also, consider that you may have beautiful looking hens now but, when you get a Roo he will mess up and rip out her feathers. Unless you can make some nice saddles....

Back
Top Bottom