Do I NEED a rooster?

Chicky85254

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
AZ & CA
I have 7 bantam pullets (at least I think they are all pullets). I'm new to chickens and I've been reading lots of info here at BYC. It seems that roosters do a lot to protect their flock of hens....do I need one?

I will be keeping the hens at our ranchette, which is approximately 1 acre in size, with 6' block walls around the whole area. My two horses will also be there, but not sure if they will be of any protection to chickens? I am aware that there are racoons in the vicinity, probably hawks and owls too. We're setting up the extremely secure coop with auto door closer/opener for them so they will be safe at night. But do I need to worry about them during the day? Would a rooster really make much difference?

Will the hens "protect" themselves or watch for danger, or ???

I don't eat eggs, but my b/f does....so I don't care if they are fertile either way....although I wouldn't mind if more chicks "just appeared" one day!
wink.png

Last edited:
hawks and eagles and dogs,cats,alot of animals hunt during the day.,, and myself,, i think a roo is 1 of the best pieces of protection you can have, specially if there is no net above ya girls. my roo's protect against every animal, humans, and birds. and most take REALLY good care of THEIR girls.
wink.png

just get you a GOOD livestock dog... if you dont care about fertile eggs or not.. Perhaps a great pyrenees.. a lot and myself can give you feedback on these amazing dogs

-Daniel

Back
Top Bottom