Do I NEED a rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicky85254, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Chicky85254

Chicky85254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    I have 7 bantam pullets (at least I think they are all pullets). I'm new to chickens and I've been reading lots of info here at BYC. It seems that roosters do a lot to protect their flock of hens....do I need one?

I will be keeping the hens at our ranchette, which is approximately 1 acre in size, with 6' block walls around the whole area. My two horses will also be there, but not sure if they will be of any protection to chickens? I am aware that there are racoons in the vicinity, probably hawks and owls too. We're setting up the extremely secure coop with auto door closer/opener for them so they will be safe at night. But do I need to worry about them during the day? Would a rooster really make much difference?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    nope. rooster not needed, unless you want more chickens without ordering them!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, you dont need one unless you want fertile eggs to sell or hatch yourself. I like having one alot. They protect the ladies and are willing to sacrifice themselves for the flock.

4. Chicky85254

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    Will the hens "protect" themselves or watch for danger, or ???

I don't eat eggs, but my b/f does....so I don't care if they are fertile either way....although I wouldn't mind if more chicks "just appeared" one day! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

hawks and eagles and dogs,cats,alot of animals hunt during the day.,, and myself,, i think a roo is 1 of the best pieces of protection you can have, specially if there is no net above ya girls. my roo's protect against every animal, humans, and birds. and most take REALLY good care of THEIR girls. [​IMG]

6. Chicky85254

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    Since I have bantys, could I get a Large rooster, or do I have to stick with a bantam rooster?

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

a larger roo would try to mate with them,, and that could be problems with him squishing them.

8. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    I wouldn't get a large rooster,if he is to big, he might hurt the girls while mating.

9. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    just get you a GOOD livestock dog... if you dont care about fertile eggs or not.. Perhaps a great pyrenees.. a lot and myself can give you feedback on these amazing dogs

-Daniel

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:All that, plus they're a hoot to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by