Do i need a run with this set up?

batarang

Hatching
Feb 7, 2015
EDIT: A RUN. CRUD.
I want to convert an 8x10 shed to house 4-5 chickens max. It's got a double door and window, and what I plan on doing is creating a "pen" portion and a "clean room" for storing feed shavings etc and accessibility, by partioning it into 2 8x5 portions.
The only issue is that the double doors would both be in the non-chicken foyer/ clean room,and the height and location of the window is such that a run wouldn't be ideal off it.
I plan on making the partition out of hardware cloth and a screen door so weather permitting the double door could be left open for sunlight and fresh air during the day.
We have a lot of weasels and hwwks and I don't feel great trying to free range but a run isn't very doable without cutting a big hole somewhere since the doors and window both open directly onto the side of the driveway.

Last edited:
You came to the right place for all things chicken. Welcome

So if I understand you correctly, there won't be an outdoor access for the birds? Approximately 4x5 of it will be storage?

I wouldn't suggest more than 3 or 4 LF (large fowl) in this space. If sounds as if you will have enough ventilation in nice weather, but winter and super-hot days you may need more ventilation.

Another issue will be the cleaning this will need to be cleaned out frequently (as in no less than 3 times a week to avoid smell). You could use the deep litter method, but it would still take several more cleanings than a larger coop, or one with an outdoor access. I would figure. Especially if they are in there 24/7.

I would seriously consider an outdoor access. Chickens naturally need to roam a bit, and scratch!

Check out the coop ideas here on BYC.

Last edited:
Your chickens vote yes they need a run. If the sides are just wood, pull a sheet off at the bottom and cut a pop door in it. Frame the cut out and put a door on it. Your chickens will be healthier and happier (making them lay better) if they can be outside. It's not a major undertaking.

Last edited:
I have 6 hens, because of zoning laws and everyday I go out to let the chickens out in the run area. Then when I feel ready I let them out to run around the yard to scratch and hunt for bugs and worms. In our neighborhood we have hawks, raccoons, rats, possums and mice, so the coop is about 1foot off the ground and the run is secured with 1/2 inch hardwire fencing that is buried. Chickens need to get out if you want them to stay healthy and happy. Can you cut a chicken door out of the wall of the shed that could be made into an automatic door? Check the coop section, because some of the coops out there are amazing.
BTW
welcome-byc.gif

The chicken area would be between 40 and 60 square feet depending on final layout, so 8-12 sq ft even with 5, (our goal is 3-4, but we'll probably get 5 chicks in case of roosters or chick death).
We don't get hot enough that with the doors and window open it would be too hot, too far north for that, and the coop is under a shed In winter there are built in vents on the shed, and I can place the roost out of the draft and crack the window if it becomes problematic. Even with a run, I doubt they'd want to go outside in late fall through the winter.
We are contemplating a sand floor so we could rake it daily (like a cat litter box).

Follow up question- assuming 8-12 square feet of coop per bird, how much fun would I need per bird? Less than 10 square feet per, or is that still the suggested amount?

SKYWORLD, I've definitely been admiring the amazing coops but I've got more of a shoestring budget. Some of them are worth more then my car!

Bat- a good run doesn't have to cost the earth. For starters you could us 3/4" pvc pipe ( lowes,home depot, or most hardware stores) for the frame. The cost will be in the hardware cloth, but if you shop around you can get that reasonably. Check out local sources and then compare with wayfair, Amazon, and ebay. Amazon & Wayfair are free shipping. You either have to bury it at least a foot deep or lay it around the perimeter 2' out. By summer the grass will have grown and covered it if you go the laying it on the ground method. The size depends on how much hardware cloth you can afford. I cover my runs with netting or chicken wire. Make your dimensions in easy multiples of whatever you use to cover the run.

To specifically answer your question, chickens have been known to survive in small cages with barely enough room to turn around, and will do so in your coop with reasonable care.

As for the quality of life, as others have said, usually the more space they have, the better, especially access to the great outdoors.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear, but everyone's opinion on quality of life differs.

Batarang, I was able to put together my coop on a "shoestring budget", because my sweet Love was not to keen on the idea of having a few chicken. I collected scrap wood, cinder blocks, cabinet doors from my kitchen and I can go on. The thing is that I wanted it to work not just for me, but also for the chickens and my sweet Love. I figure if it didn't work I could take it down and chalk it up to an idea that wasn't meant to be. As thing have turned out my Love is having a great time talking and caring for 6 hens. The eggs are tasty because the girls get out to eat the bugs and worms in the yard and they are happiest when they are out and about. Give it time and think it through and try to make it an enjoyable experience.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom