1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need another Egg Box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cowpunkmom, Oct 16, 2009.

1. cowpunkmom

cowpunkmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    I have only three chickens, ISO Browns, and the two at the top of the pecking order lay one egg faithfully every day. The third girl won't lay! We've had her for a few weeks now, will she ever lay? She's quite timid, definitely at the bottom of the social order, but she IS getting food and water. I've checked in other spots, no eggs hiding anywhere. Is it normal for the girl at the bottom to just not bother?

One thought...I only have one egg box, which doesn't bother Clucky and Stinky at all...but maybe Tucky doesn't want to go into their territory. Would it help if we put in one more egg box?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. captainmoose

captainmoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    SE PA
    One box for three hens should not be a problem unless one goes broody. I find up to six eggs in one box a lot of times. You said you only had her for a few weeks now, she may not be use to her new home yet. Give her time.

3. lovetocook

lovetocook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Washington, NJ
    If you have the room another nest box wouldn't hurt the situation & may make her feel more comfortable. But she may just be getting used to her new surroundings & feeling things out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by