Do i need to add electrolytes to chicks water?

boykin2010

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 26, 2010
South Georgia
Hi. I have some chicks about ready to hatch and since i am new to this whole hatching thing i was wondering if i needed to add any electrolytes to the chicks waterer. I have read where many people do it but many people advise not to do it. People who do it say to add a little bit of gatorade or a couple tablespoons of sugar to the water.

What do yall do?

With chicks you're hatching you shouldn't need to add anything. Sometimes shipped chicks are stressed by the shipping & a bit of sugar water helps get them going. They make a vitamin & electrolyte product for chickens. It wouldn't hurt to use it but it's not really necessary.

I bought my vitamin mix from Murray Mcmurry and it arrived with the chicks.

My opinion: I give it because I do NOT think that milled grains have the vitamins that a free range chick with a broody hen would get picking at all the grass and other greens available. The milled grains are fortified but maybe not enough. This is what we are seeing in human vitamins (Dr. Oz). Because the chicks are growing so fast right now (4 wks) I don't give many treats. THe treats they do get are fortified human cereal, like raisen bran (minus the raisens).When they slow down or reach full size, I'll be happy to feed more scraps,etc. Lots more.

I think it is a personal choice but with the two small batches of chicks I have hatched, I have not given them anything in their water and they have done fine. If you do want to give them some, the package should tell you how much to mix with the water. Enjoy your chicks!
smile.png

I use Ultimate Vitamins for all my birds. $6.95 for 8 oz at Foy's Pigeons, or you can buy 6 and it the price drops to about 4.65 for 8 oz. It comes in a nice little plastic container, so packages so you don't have to worry about it spilling out. You only use 1/2 teaspoon per 2 gallons, so one jar will last for about 80 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom