Do I need to be more patient?

Unfortunately nothing hatched :( Thanks for asking. Any thoughts on what we did wrong as we definitely heard one cheeping? I followed all the instructions. The incubator is several decades old from when I was young and we incubated these eggs to give it a go again. I am now wanting to try again, so I have invested in a new incubator, so any tips for the next attempt would be appreciated :)
Sorry to hear that! Losing them so close to hatch is really heartbreaking. I'm sorry for your loss. :hugs
Did you have a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer? Were the eggs shipped? Did you ensure the eggs were turned throughout incubation?
There are so many reasons a baby can fail to hatch, but if we can narrow it down a little bit, it may help next time.

Sorry to hear that! Losing them so close to hatch is really heartbreaking. I'm sorry for your loss. :hugs
Did you have a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer? Were the eggs shipped? Did you ensure the eggs were turned throughout incubation?
There are so many reasons a baby can fail to hatch, but if we can narrow it down a little bit, it may help next time.
Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. I didn't get a notification of your message!

Thank you for your kind words. It was very sad :(

To answer your questions, I did have a basic incubator with traditional thermometer, but no hygrometer. We just followed the manufacturers guidelines for the filling the water ports. The eggs weren't shipped, but from a friend's duck. I turned the eggs using the incubator. It was an hexagonal sided incubator, so we manually rocked in three times a day

Since the ducklings didn't hatch, I have invested in a new incubator as the one we had was fairly old. The one I bought has an automatic turner that turns every 2 hours. It auto-regulates temperature, but I have attached the old thermometer to keep an eye on it. I also have a basic hygrometer to keep an eye on the humidity

Any tips, improvements or thoughts for round 2

Back
Top Bottom