Do I need to be NPIP certified

nehrenreich

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2020
Southern Wisconsin
I have been searching through forums and state pages for awhile now and can not seem to find a straight answer. I have a small flock of Pekin and Khaki Campbell ducks that I plan on breeding. I would sell hatching eggs and ducklings. Do I need to be certified to do this? I Do not plan on shipping the ducklings at this time that would be local pick up only. The hatching eggs I would probably ship.

From what I was reading only chicken breeders need to be certified, is this true? Or if I am selling directly to the consumer I do not need to be certified.

It isn't true.
NPIP regulation currently includes commercial poultry, turkeys, waterfowl, exhibition poultry, backyard poultry, and game birds.
To sell eggs or live birds across state lines, flocks must be certified. In fact in some states like mine, one needs to be NPIP in order to sell in state.
It is a national program administered by states, each with their own regs.
That said, many people don't follow rules. I just don't need legal problems.
The rules are there to safeguard everyone. Events dating back to 1935 have devastated avian flocks. Pullorum-Typhoid, spread by a species of salmonella, nearly wiped out the entire poultry industry in the US.
While P-T testing is all that is required to be NPIP certified, some states have added AI as a requirement for bringing birds into their state. Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza was spread by migratory waterfowl and caused billions of chickens, turkeys and other avian species to be mandatorily depopulated across the country.

To know how to proceed contact your state Ag office. They are usually the ones that run their NPIP program.
I found it.
https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Programs_Services/PoultryFlockPrograms.aspx

Last edited:
It isn't true.
NPIP regulation currently includes commercial poultry, turkeys, waterfowl, exhibition poultry, backyard poultry, and game birds.
To sell eggs or live birds across state lines, flocks must be certified. In fact in some states like mine, one needs to be NPIP in order to sell in state.
It is a national program administered by states, each with their own regs.
That said, many people don't follow rules. I just don't need legal problems.
The rules are there to safeguard everyone. Events dating back to 1935 have devastated avian flocks. Pullorum-Typhoid, spread by a species of salmonella, nearly wiped out the entire poultry industry in the US.
While P-T testing is all that is required to be NPIP certified, some states have added AI as a requirement for bringing birds into their state. Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza was spread by migratory waterfowl and caused billions of chickens, turkeys and other avian species to be mandatorily depopulated across the country.

To know how to proceed contact your state Ag office. They are usually the ones that run their NPIP program.
I found it.
https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Programs_Services/PoultryFlockPrograms.aspx
Perhaps it should be required for all flocks to be isolated and if they do have to go out into public, masks should be mandatory. There should also be mandatory experimental drugs injected into each bird. Seriously. Who are we kidding? If there is an out break of any epidemic, lots of living organisms, including humans will die. That is life. These laws and controls are there for government to make more $. Apparently, they do not have enough of pur money in taxes. Not for your protection. Fact: by the time an organism has tested positive for any pathogen, there have been 2 to 3 weeks where they have been
asymptomatic and spreading it. Just one of the risks we take to live.

Perhaps it should be required for all flocks to be isolated and if they do have to go out into public, masks should be mandatory. There should also be mandatory experimental drugs injected into each bird. Seriously. Who are we kidding? If there is an out break of any epidemic, lots of living organisms, including humans will die. That is life. These laws and controls are there for government to make more $. Apparently, they do not have enough of pur money in taxes. Not for your protection. Fact: by the time an organism has tested positive for any pathogen, there have been 2 to 3 weeks where they have been
asymptomatic and spreading it. Just one of the risks we take to live.
I believe very little of that is true. While the end result of government regulation may be mixed, there is usually a good reason for government instituting regulations. In the case of NPIP, the US was in danger of losing the egg and poultry meat industry due to pullorum/typhoid. The regs and administration by all states have made that disease almost non existent in most states.
As for the government doing it to make more money. There is zero cost in my and many states. The government covers all cost in order for people to be able to go to the store and buy cheap eggs.
Additionally, the antigen blood test in instantaneous.
As far as one of the risks we take to live, P-T has little effect on humans but it wipes out flocks.

Back
Top Bottom