Do I need to cul or will it be ok.

macdoogle

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
San Diego
One of my newly hatched chicks has a lame leg. It sticks out to the side and the chick doesn't put weight on it. I think it might be paralysed not broken. Otherwise the chick looks fine and is active. It's able to hobble around, and I've seen it eat and drink. What are it's prospects for a happy life. I worry it will eventually get picked on.
sad.png

We have a hen that hatched with one eye and we have to keep her separated from the others to keep her from being picked on. We take her out of her cage on sunny days and let her run free but she doesn't go far from the house. To us it was a personal choice and we decided to keep her because I stay at home and have the time to get her out. I feel if it isn't suffering keep it but if it is suffering cull it.

It doesn't seem to be suffering although I do see the other chicks pecking at it occasionally. I don't want to rush into anything like culling if I don't have to. I'll just keep an eye on Gimpy for now. Thank you for the advice.

Sounds more like sprawled leg than anything else. Idk why anyone else hasn't said it yet. Seems to be the first thing most say for things like that.
I had a chick where her leg suddenly just stuck out and she didn't seem to be able to use it much. Put on a bandaid to keep both legs parallel under her body and she was fine. Though I did it in steps. First bandaid with leg in a little, but not too much. Next day a little closer, and so on until they were parallel.

Took Gimpy to my local pet store. Owner has raised chickens in the past. The left knee is all swollen and red.I tried splinting just the L leg but that made it worst. Are you saying you tape the 2 legs together? Also, the thigh is moving but the foot is limp. Thanks for the link BrattishTaz.

Back
Top Bottom