DO I NEED TO HELP?? day 21 quails no hatching

Lexbarlow

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2020
I've got I think 5 quail for sure possibly 9 on day 21 in the incubator, moving slightly during candeling but no pips.
I had to check as egg 10 split and started oozing so needed to check what was going on incase that had caused problems for the others. There were another 2 that had slightly cracked underneath and stuck to the incubator but hadn't noticed as in lockdown and wasn't getting involved other than keeping humidity up.
Based on any of this do you think I need to intervene at all?
I've been very accurate with temps/humid and turning in earlier days as I was told how difficult it can be to hatch quail.
Just this egg went and then found the other 2, don't know if they went first so we're in there leaking for longer or what but I've heard burst eggs can destroy the whole batch. Does this count as burst, not sure but could it have damaged the others somehow.

Don't want the poorly little wriggly ones to die :(

Rambling sorry

Did you have a calibrate temperature and humidity gauge? Can you attach a couple of pictures of you candling them? To be safe you can scratch a tiny, tiny pin hole size hole in the bottom of the fat end. Those two shouldn’t have ruined the whole batch.

Did you have a calibrate temperature and humidity gauge? Can you attach a couple of pictures of you candling them? To be safe you can scratch a tiny, tiny pin hole size hole in the bottom of the fat end. Those two shouldn’t have ruined the whole batch.
Won't doing that kill them if too early tho?

*too early as in they haven't pipped yet. Or is that safer so when they do pip they have more air?
Would I not break the shell cos they're so delicate

I mean making a hole in the shell
I wouldn't do that. I will help if they've fully zipped and still having problems. Most of the time, if they're having problems hatching, it's because there are other issues that make them unlikely to survive.

If these are coturnix quail, it sounds like your temperature was too low during incubation. Never trust the readings on your incubator. Always have calibrated thermomters and hygrometer inside.

Back
Top Bottom