Do I need to help this Dark Brahma hatch??

FeatherTay

Crowing
Jun 28, 2020
Kansas
I have a dark brahma egg that pipped malpositioned not last night but the night before. It’s started making progress last night. When I woke up this morn, my humidity was at 31%. :he

The membrane doesn’t look to good. @Kiki can you help?
image.jpg

Get some coconut oil or non pain relief Neosporin and paint it on the membrane. Olive oil will do in a pinch. You are looking for veins that show blood still flowing, they will show up as red lines. If no veins showing, slowly tease back the membrane with the bristle end of the brush. Keep doing this until you can see the chick and assess if it is ready for hatching. You can slowly peel [ as in little tiny chips] of the shell and continue to paint on the oil. At some point the chick will pop out and you might be tempted to help it fully out of the shell. I would put it back and wait, the act of pushing itself out seems to strengthen the legs. if after half an hour it still hasn't made its way out then fully take it out of the shell.

It's very possible that the lower humidity caused it to get stuck as the membrane dried and you might once it is out have to use a second paint brush to wash certain sections of its body to release the dried fluid. even going as far as taking a wet towel and giving it a bath to clean it off so it can move properly.

Back
Top Bottom