Do I need to install ventilation vents in my new coop?

Hudson

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
I am building my first coop which will be 7 feet by 8 feet. Do I need to install vents? And if so do I place them on the north and south sides or the east and west sides? Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.
I am not sure of my predator situation, the area around the coop will be fenced but I do not know if I will be closing up the coop at night to protect the hens.

Last edited:
You should check out Pat's info on ventilation. It is really, really important- for the birds and you. As long as it is not drafty, I don't think there is any such thing as too much ventilation! I have a fan in my coop, which facilitate air exchange- that helps too. I don't think you would include vents on the north side of the coop. Good luck!

It depends somewhat on your climate. If you get hot summers, you need multiple large windows or one or more all-wire sides; if you do not get especially hot summesr, just a couple regular size windows will do, window-wise.

But no matter WHAT your climate, it'd be an exceedingly good idea tl ALSO have vents at the tops of EACH wall, preferably tucked under the eaves for some shelter vs wind and rain. Good sized vents, mind, not holes or little 3"x6" jobs; preferably with a flap or slider or wahtever so you can close off whatever ones you don't want at the moment.

Even in the winter, even in a NORTHERN winter, you will need some ventilation, and with it high on the walls like that it will get rid of maximal humidity/ammonia while keeping drafts off the chickens.

I strongly, strongly recommend closing the hens into the house at night btw. It is awfully hard to make a TRULY predatorproof run (as opposed to merely predator-resistant), and you do not want to offer temptation and a possible first taste that gets 'em intent on getting more.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

No they'll be alright without em but may breeze out and help not to stink so bad.

thumbsup.gif

Listen to Pat - she knows of what she speaks.

She told me to put some vents under my eaves and my DH refused to cut into the walls. Well, she was right - they would have been protected from weather and made my life a little easier. My ventilation (which includes ridgecap/soffet vents as well as gable vents and two large double paned windows) is sufficient and haven't had ANY odor problems all winter, even with the coop completely closed up for 6-7 days at a time because of bad weather. Vents are on the east/west sides of the coop because my weather comes from the west. Good for cross ventilation, bad when it rains/snows. I rigged the vents with covers and had to use them this winter when it was -24F.

Back
Top Bottom