Do I need to open a ventilation hole on day one with LG incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smokin Silkies, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    It really dont say much in the directions, that I saw, and i also tried searching internet and this forum. Im new on this forum so maybe I'm not looking properly. I just spent the last 2 hrs. going through the incubating & hatching eggs questions, and couldn't find an answer. My temp was consistant til I put the eggs in tonight, about 3 hrs ago. I have 2 thermometers in it and one said 100*, the other 98*. Now since eggs have been in it, one therm says 100*, the other 94*? I don't get it. Both are in the center of the incubator, equally distanced from heating element? Humidity is slowly going up...at 45% now. Do I need to take one of those red plugs out now? Also does this increase or decrease humidity levels? I have an egg turner and its about impossible to add water. First, not trying to get eggs wet, 2nd more important is that I can't see where the water trays are. This is much harder than I thought! Im afraid to go to sleep and wake up 2 something bad! Im terrified the temp is going to drastically change. Thank you all for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  2. bradybrady09

bradybrady09 BANNED

Mar 19, 2009
    Vermont
    I have been using the Little giant for years now and what i always do it take one plug out from day one and then take the second one out on day 18 and i have always had a great hatch rate

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i have the lg's, and what i do is take the back red plug out on day one, and the front one out on day 18, and place it 1/2 way over the front hole to help hold the humidty to where i want it. with the plugs in it will make the humidty go up. and when i put eggs in the bator i give it 8 hour to stableize to the proper temps ( for it has to heat the eggs up) and as it heats them up the humidty will take some time to become stable. is your lg a still air or forced air?
    pm me if you have any ? william

4. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I have a still air incubator. I was hoping to get them in earlier today so I can watch them....but I didn't receive them til afternoon. By the time they settled it was 7:30 when I put them in. I didn't have anywhere cool enough to store them til tomorrow so I pretty much had to put them in tonight. Maybe I should turn it down a hair so it don't get too warm overnight, or should I just let it go. I can't stay up til 4 am waiting for it to stabilize. If I didn't have babies I probably could stay up later...lol. Guess I'll see tmr. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by