Do I need to put a roo in the freezer?

IDIOT HUSBAND

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Burgin, KY
I'm not 100% sure but I think I have two roosters in my flock. I have 15 RIR chickens two of them are a little larger and their combs are redder and they have waddles(under the beak). None of the others have that much red or waddle. So if I do have two roosters do I need to get rid of one or will they coexist peacefully? Thanks.

Having at least 3 always decreases the fighting for some reason but I wouldn't worry about it, normally a little fighting doesn't hurt anything.

If they are growing up together, chances are that they will get along just fine. There might be a squabble or two here and there, but I wouldn't worry over it to much unless they start getting overly aggressive towards one another. Something else you might need to keep an eye on is if the pullets / hens are being over mated. If that ends up being an issue then you could always add to your flock or get rid of a roo.

If you like your roosters, I wouldn't worry about getting rid of one until you actually have a problem.
smile.png

I kept two roosters out of a straight run I got from Mt. Healthy. Only intended to keep one but my daughter wanted one as well as my son so I kept two. They are 8 months old and I have had no problems whatso ever, at least yet. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start having problems. Enjoy them

Back
Top Bottom