Do I need to show them the food and water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by keystonepaul, Jul 29, 2008.

1. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Just put my 5 week old "chicks" out in the hen house for the first time earlier this evening. That is there new home from this point forward. Hung the waterer and feeder at the proper heigth. My question is: Do I need to show them the feeder and water and that there is (of course) food and water in them ??? or will they find out for themselves(which I would sincerly hope they would). Have a lamp out with them for warmth and they seem content. (yeah I'll be up several time throught the night to check on them) just oblivious to the waterer and feeder. Thanks, Keystonepaul

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    If they are the same feeders and waterers you used when brooding them, they'll be fine. If they are different in color or shape, it would help to show the birds what they are. Chickens are very suspicious of change, but after they get used to a new situation they are usually okay. Good luck!

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Hunger and thirst are great motivators, and chickens naturally forage and peck at anything that looks even remotely like food, so there won't be any real need to show them, they'll find it on their own very quickly.

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    They also play follow the leader . They learn from each other . One eats , several join in .

Mine are all in an enclosed coop and Run combination .

I have 48 head and all different age groups . From 1.5 years old to 16 weeks old .

I never had to worry about mine . 1st. evening they were all in the coop , I wondered if th would all stay inside or if they would be going in or out .

I have a lil ladder to give them full access to the coop / run 24/7 . 1st. sign of daylight , here they come one by one . About 7:30 - 7:45 PM , they all start looking up and start re-entering the coop for the night . they DO LEARN from each other . GO TO BED and sleep well .. they are smarter than what we give them credit for . LOL

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I doubt you would have to show them. You could watch and see if any use the waterer. If it is worrying you, take the leader and stick its beak in the water. The rest will follow.

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Yep - just show one and the rest will be curious. The others are right - go to sleep and they'll be fine!!!

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:

Where are you located ? Unless you live in a VERY COLD area , at 5 weeks old , they really don't need any heat lamp . How many do oyu have and what size is your coop ?

8. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Thanks folks they're eating and drinking. It's not really a heat lamp- only 85 watts. I just figured it would help some in terms of temp on a specific area if they got cold- it's in the mid 50's hear tonight and the lamp is similar to what they were used to in the brooder box. I partitioned off 3/4 of a 14x20 building I had so the inside is about 14x12 with 3/4 of the walls open at the top 12 inches and screened with 1/4 inch hardware cloth. I have 10 more chicks that are only going on 2 weeks that will join them soon and well you know a bird here or there will be added........ the wife wants some what chickens.....figured I build for what I could feed and if I get to that amount I get to that amount.... sure seems like I will...you know how it goes and I'm discovering how it goes!!! thanks again, Keystonepaul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by