Do I need to take action now? Is it certain my rooster will be mean?

oh, he's very comfortable around me. He'll hang out with me all day long. He just doesn't want me to PET him for some reason. But he likes to hang with me and he likes it when I talk to him. At this point I'm not worried about him... I just had to ask since I got that comment on my blog.

He's really too young to be mating, or so I've been told (he's only 10 weeks old)... but he does it a little bit anyway. Should I really try to stop him? Will he only mate when I'm present if he thinks he's dominant over me? Moreso he does the courting dance. I've only seen him try to mount a female once and it was about 25-30 feet away from me and my back was turned. Does that count?

It sounds like everything is fine. I would not worry too much. If he is keeping his distance then he knows your the boss. I forget who on here has a page on roosters training but you might want to read that if you are worried. It is in a past thread under someones avatar. Do a rooster topic search it will be in on of those threads in the past month.

When he is 'hanging' around you are you sure he isn't scoping you out?

I am fairly new to chickens and last year had an EE that turned it a nightmare. He liked to be near me so he could attack me. He didn't start that way, it became pretty bad once the pullets of the same age started laying. Then he started crowing at me, complaining about my footwear and flogging me. I tried the picking him up and walking around thing...didn't take. He even bit me in the face. He was delicious.

I now have waaay too many 10 week old chicks and I think 5 of them are roosters. One of them is a Partridge Rock and he is already crowing and complaining about my footwear. He stays close to me too, but I don't think it is because he likes me.

I am getting ready to take them off the starter and prepare them for Freezer Camp.

Back
Top Bottom