Do I need to treat mites in asymptomatic girls?

coconutprincess

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Rhode Island
Hi, I was giving some treats to the girls tonight and after patting them on the back "full squat mode" i noticed some teeny and I mean TEENY white specks in the seam near the cuff of my black jacket. I thought they were dust or pine shavings but they didn't brush off so easily...upon further inspection I noticed that these wretched specks were moving! So obviously mites. obviously picked up from the back of the girls. Now, my question is, do I necessarily need to DO anything at this juncture? the girls look good, no loss of feathers or any horror stories I have read about. I just went out to look under their wings and at their vents when I was putting them to bed and didn't see anything, feathers intact as well. They eat well, seem healthy, lay well (except for the one who just came off being broody). is this the start of something and should I treat now? or should I let nature handle it? They free range all day and take ad lib dirt baths in my garden and under their coop frequently. Just noticed some mites crawling on my arm as I'm typing! UGH! do they infest humans? should I be sleeping outside tonight?!Please help! These are the first girls I've had I'm completely new to this and I want to keep them healthy!
D.gif

If you've seen mites in the coop, or on the birds, you should treat. It may not be a problem now, but mites can quickly turn into a large infestation. I've had birds not have mites one day, and then five days later, have a bunch of them and ragged feathers where the mites are. Mites can make birds uncomfortable and increase their susceptiblity to disease. In high enough numbers, they can cause loss of blood and death. So, to conclude, I'd treat them.

Nope, mites don't live on humans.They may crawl around, but they can't harm you. A good shower should get rid of all of them on you currently.

Thank you for that advice! Now I am wondering if I should just go ahead and use the Sevin dust I have read about since they take dirt/dust baths frequently during the day and that obviously has not helped...or does diatomaceous earth have some special properties that regular dust/dirt does not?

Thank you for that advice! Now I am wondering if I should just go ahead and use the Sevin dust I have read about since they take dirt/dust baths frequently during the day and that obviously has not helped...or does diatomaceous earth have some special properties that regular dust/dirt does not?

Others will disagree, but I have found that Sevin dust is the best way to go when treating for mites. Diatamaceous earth is more of a preventative measure, not always a treatment. Sometimes, you need something stronger.

Diatamaceous earth "works" because it contains millions of tiny fossils from microscopic aquatic organisms, called diatoms. These fossils are very sharp and cut away at the exoskeleton of the mites/lice. So yes, diatamaceous earth does have some special properties. I just haven't found it to actually work that well.

Thank you so much for your input and helpful info! I am going to get some Sevin dust this weekend and treat the girls and if they have any DE I think I will get some and sprinkle it in their dirt bath areas...it can't hurt

Only treating the birds isn't enough; also clean out their bedding, apply sevin or permethrin powder liberally, and add new bedding. Wear a GOOD dust mask while you do this! Redust the birds in ten to fourteen days. Sevin is not approved for use in poultry, so there's no official egg withdrawal time; you have to wing it. Permethrin is approved for use, and now has a short withdrawal time listed, I think one week. Mary

Just saying hello to all you flocks! I haven't checked in at all in a few days! Doing fine - no chickens intil spring! Husband was excited-found all he wood he needed to do coop at yard sale-costing him $16 onstead of $50!

Hi

Just wondered how you were getting on as I seen to be having the same problem only these things are actually biting me and have been for afew days!! I have treated the chicks and the brooder and they seem fine, looked under the feathers and all clear

Hi

Just wondered how you were getting on as I seen to be having the same problem only these things are actually biting me and have been for afew days!! I have treated the chicks and the brooder and they seem fine, looked under the feathers and all clear
I have seen the posts from people saying that mites dont affect people... They are wrong. Not sure about all types of mites but northern fowl mites can AND will bite humans. They will also persist for some time in homes... If you have mites i would suggest that you treat them aggressively, only enter your coops once per day and immediately shower afterwards. You should not bring your clothes into the living areas and treat them with permethrin periodically or wash the immediately. You should also wash your bedding regularly, steam your couches and chairs (if you have a steamer) and vacuum your carpets regularly until things are under control. I believe that many people unknowingly re infest their birds by bring mites back into the coop after treating then on their clothes and bodies... I know it sounds gross but it happens. If you are diligent with showering, washing/treating your clothes you should see a quick reduction and then elimination of them from your house. This eliminates a source of re infestation and makes your life alot more comfortable. Good luck. Mites are tough but can be controlled. If the methods outlined by the other members dont work for you feel free to pm and i will be happy to give you some other potential solution to treating your birds

Last edited:
Thank you so much your advice is great. I bug bombed the house today, and unfortunately I don't hve anywhere else warm enough (I live in Ireland and it's autumn here) to keep the chicks but they seem mite free now I have been treating them everyday and cleaning the pen out and spraying and dusting it with mite/lice stuff for chickens. I have washed all our sheets and towels and will borrow a steamer to do the sofa tomorrow, hopefully this does the trick xx

Back
Top Bottom