Do I really need these many support beams?

Kaley

Chirping
11 Years
Oct 23, 2010
I'm designing a coop frame that is 4 1/2 L x 4 W x 4 H at the highest using 2x3s. I was wondering if I really need all this support? the cost is getting kind of up there.
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 8.27.04 PM.png

I'm designing a coop frame that is 4 1/2 L x 4 W x 4 H at the highest using 2x3s. I was wondering if I really need all this support?

It depends on how strong you need it to be. If it needs to have people stand on top, or piles of snow all winter, or a tree fall on it, then you probably do need that much.

Otherwise, that might be more framing than you need.

What are you planning to cover it with? If you use plywood, that makes it stronger, so it doesn't need as much framing. Hardware cloth can help keep it from wobbling, but does not otherwise help support it. Some kinds of siding don't even prevent wobbling.

I've used some portable chicken coops that were framed with 2 x 2's, and did not have the doubled and tripled beams that I see in your design, and I found them strong enough--so it really depends on how strong it needs to be, and how you intend to use it.

Edit to add: I see amk122284 responded while I was typing, with a different perspective.

It depends on how strong you need it to be. If it needs to have people stand on top, or piles of snow all winter, or a tree fall on it, then you probably do need that much.

Otherwise, that might be more framing than you need.

What are you planning to cover it with? If you use plywood, that makes it stronger, so it doesn't need as much framing. Hardware cloth can help keep it from wobbling, but does not otherwise help support it. Some kinds of siding don't even prevent wobbling.

I've used some portable chicken coops that were framed with 2 x 2's, and did not have the doubled and tripled beams that I see in your design, and I found them strong enough--so it really depends on how strong it needs to be, and how you intend to use it.

Edit to add: I see amk122284 responded while I was typing, with a different perspective.
I was hopping to do some sort of siding or cedar shake? Not sure if I need a plywood base for that.

Great idea!

I check frequently for hardware cloth and stuff like that. Stuff I dont need right now but will down the road! If I can find a roll for half the price because someone had it left over from a project I jump! We got 2 of these HUGE windows for our garage coop conversion, double pane, double hung, with screens for $60 each - $120 total! I had been looking at super tiny ones that made me nervous for about $80 each, I was so excited to find this deal. Hubby wasnt so sure about what I was sending him to collect and then once he got there and saw them he started questioning himself in his head that maybe I had said $120 each and he didnt get enough cash 🤣

Attachments

• 20200601_180842.jpg
    20200601_180842.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200601_180758.jpg
    20200601_180758.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom