Do I really need these many support beams?

I dont know if cedar siding is a big deal but cedar is toxic to chickens
I did some research on Cedar because I was seeing recommendations to use it in chicken coop construction. It’s aromatic pine shavings in a confined that are the concern.

I did some research on Cedar because I was seeing recommendations to use it in chicken coop construction. It’s aromatic pine shavings in a confined that are the concern.
Weird I dont know a single person personally that doesnt use pine shavings in their coop....and I know a lot of people with chickens.

I was hopping to do some sort of siding or cedar shake? Not sure if I need a plywood base for that.
Looks way over complicated. Have an imagined completed sketch? I would just use 2x4 but eliminate lots of excess. Probably dont need king stud and trim stud or headers top and bottom. They make an awesome outdoor paneling for sheds that is treated and lasts 15 years without maintenance.

Cedar siding outside is fine. Cedar shavings in the coop is not fine.
That's a tiny coop, and very short too. Designed for three hens? More really won't fit comfortably.
I think that it needs at least roof support at 24" centers, depending on your roofing choice. 16" centers given that it's very small framing already.
In snow country, always build with snow load in mind! Look at what's needed for other buildings where you live, and build strong enough!
@amk122284 , I hope you replaced the window screening with hardware cloth secured to the framing of your building. Raccoons get through screens with no problem.
Mary

That's a tiny coop, and very short too. Designed for three hens? More really won't fit comfortably.
I think that it needs at least roof support at 24" centers, depending on your roofing choice. 16" centers given that it's very small framing already.
In snow country, always build with snow load in mind! Look at what's needed for other buildings where you live, and build strong enough!
@amk122284 , I hope you replaced the window screening with hardware cloth secured to the framing of your building. Raccoons get through screens with no problem.
Mary

Yep! Those pictures were before any chickens had moved in :) it was minutes after my husband got them in to send to the inlaws :)

Mary
4 with 8x8 run. Roof is going to be a shed roof.

OK, from the perspective of a person whose daughter works in and late brother-in-law worked in engineering and whose father believed that anything that couldn't be expected to last 50 years was a temporary make-do, ....

How long do you want it to last?

What kind of snow and/or wind loads do you expect it to withstand?

How big and strong is the largest predator that might challenge the walls?

I don't know if you need the doubled studs or not, but over the long term I think that skimping on materials is likely to result in costly rebuilds. I have to replace a wall on my little, Monitor Roof coop because we used a sheet of OSB after a miscut ruined the sheet of T1-11 we were going to use. We have to replace the roof because of cheap materials too -- this after only 7 years.

Now I have to add the disclaimer that my climate here in central NC is brutal on building materials -- hot, wet, and high-intensity UV. That 7 years for me might have been 15 in a cool, dry climate further north where the sun isn't as powerful.

Back
Top Bottom