Do I still need a heat lamp? Please help solve our family argument!!!

I am in Northern Ohio and picked up day old chicks mid December. We had a nasty, nasty, wet, frigid, windy winter, but when they were 7 weeks old and feathered in, they went out to their coop with NO HEATLAMP. Never once did I find them huddled together trying to keep warm. Not once. Until the run was built they went through a floor pop door to the area beneath the coop (I call it the lower run), even on the worst days. I did staple up some heavy plastic on 2 1/2 sides of the lower run to block most of the frigid wind, but that's been down now for nearly a month. I do use the Deep Litter Method, so I am assuming that helped to keep them a little warmer than they would have been, but the thermometer inside the coop versus the one outside the coop only ever differed by 2 degrees.

Oh, and the two 6 month old laying hens (Marans) I picked up in February and put in the coop with the 7 chicks (after 30 day quarantine) both laid nearly an egg a day even through those winter months. So they must not have been too uncomfortable!

I am a firm believer in NOT coddling them too much, as I feel it makes them healthier and stronger if they have to work for their comfort a little bit. With that being said, though, I did make them warm oatmeal for breakfast on more than one occasion this winter! They're just too beautiful to not baby them once in awhile.

I took the heat lamp off mine when they were 12 weeks old. I had it aimed at the roost and noticed they slept as far away from it as they could, by the only open window! Turned it off and they moved back to the roost.

Same temps you are talking about, 25 to 40.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom