Do I tip/How much do I tip .......

Well, if she's mobile, it could cost more because of the gas she has to use. It depends on how far I still had to go to get to her mobile self. If it's 55 bucks, I'd give 60. And I wouldn't groom a cat for 2oo bucks! They don't seem to appreciate the effort.
hide.gif

Tipping the owner of the business is not a common practice. When my wife gets her hair done by the owner of the salon she does not tip and neither do other patrons. She does tip the shampoo person though. If your groomer owns the business than no tip simply because all of the money paid goes in her pocket. As for being greatfull for the safe return of your dog, I would give her some eggs and thank her again.

I think a thank you gift is in order for her returning your pet. As for the tip, I also tip generously. The business owner usually doesn't get tipped because they are making a cut off of their employees. If I use the services of an owner that doesn't have employees, I do tip. Mobile grooming vans are expensive to purchase and operate, and offer a wonderful convenience to the customer. I would tip her $5-10 depending on her performance and whether or not I thought I would continue to use her services.

The business owner usually doesn't get tipped because they are making a cut off of their employees.

Huh? Would you explain this a little more? I've asked the various member of my household and they're all as puzzled as I am.​

I think I would tip. It is only 5 bucks extra, I would much rather do it than not. I always feel awkward at tip time, only because I want to do it just right, not over (for me) and not under (for them). So, I think I would eat the 5 bucks and give it to her. I don't think you will go wrong, and with 55 bucks already going out, 5 bucks isn't much to add. I don't know about the owner of the business thing. If you've spent this much time wondering about it, I would probably go ahead and do it, you won't regret it. For some reason, this kind of thing really bothers me (as far as me wondering if I've done the right thing). I don't want to be lavish, but I want to be appropriate. I think the egg thing is okay if you know her, but money makes the world go round and pays bills for the business. If close friend okay, but otherwise go with cash.

Quote:
Huh? Would you explain this a little more? I've asked the various member of my household and they're all as puzzled as I am.

When I get my hair cut or nails done, the owner doesn't do it, but they make a percentage of the amount I pay the women that do the work. Some salons rent booth space to the stylists. The owners have the overhead costs to cover. I have worked as a dog groomer. The owner charged a set amount for each animal that I groomed. Part of the cost went to me, part to the owner.
I read an article on "tipping practices and percentages" a year or so ago and thought it was odd that it said not to tip the business owner. But, I usually do if I'm happy with the job they did.

Thank you all for the help. I ended up giving her $65.

She was a VERY nice person - nicer than I'm used to dealing with anywhere. She was incredibly polite and GENUINE. She showed me her setup before she took my little guy and asked me how I wanted him cut. I think she's used to people being upset when their dogs get shaved, but my guy is terrible in the heat - so I asked her to completely shave him while leaving a schnauzer face. When I picked him up - his hair was only slightly shorter than when I dropped him off - and she cut his entire beard off. Hair grows back, though.
smile.png

Either way - I paid her so much because she was such a pleasure to work with....and I was grateful that she was nice enough to be such a friendly neighbor to have brought my dog back when he ran out of the fence.

We're considering asking her to come over to do my future MIL's cocker because he gets too nervous to go in the car.

Back
Top Bottom