Do lice & mites work on a chicken at the same time?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lunachick, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I've discovered my two hens have lice, I see them crawling around the vent area and I see those dreaded egg cases on the base of the tail feathers. [​IMG] I also see bald areas close by and raised (pink) bumps where the feathers used to be and was worried they could have mites too? My birds act fine and healthy, not lethargic at all - could both parasites be on them at the same time? [​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    certainly a chicken can have mites and lice at the same time; but 'raised pink bumps' does not sound like mites to me... are you certain you aren't looking at the feather follicles, from which the new feathers will eventually sprout?

Good luck with the lice,

Pat

3. horsegirl

horsegirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Yes you can have both.

If you have a confirmed case of lice/mites, even if they do not seem effected now, I would recomend treating it, because it does effect their rate of lay eventually and can be detrimental to health.

4. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    ive also just discovered that three of my chickens have both lice & mites. they cought it apparently from a little blind rooster that i took in.. im treating all coops & chickens this weekend.. good luck !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by