Do male goats get aggressive as they age?

My sister has a slew of pygmy goats of both sexes. None of the boys are any more aggressive than the girls, but I don't know why...
It's so cute - when she calls them into the barn at night, they follow her just like the pied piper!

Shannon

The rolling of his top lip & making a sneezing or snorting sound is part of the mating ritual.
It is not so much a sign of aggression, but more of a "I know you are a girl, and I may be attracted to you" thing ( I am trying to put this delicately).

I just tell mine to go away when they are acting like a "man". We have a new very large Boer billy that has not quite learned to go away yet, but he keeps about 2 feet away unless I go to him.

My Pygmy billy has it figured out, and he is a little gentleman around me & GD.
They are so cute, but they can get out of nearly anything. I think they scheme all day on plans to escape.

Jean

I've never had an aggressive pygmy billy. But they have never been very friendly, either. They kinda keep their distance. I don't mind the rolling of the lip or the sneezing or even the little 'alien' sounds they make when trying to impress a female. The only thing I don't like is when the pee on their beards! Yuk! They even do it when I'm standing nearby. If one of them gets me I'll have a fit like they've never seen me throw before. My hubby said they do it to make themselves attractive to the females. I told him it didn't work with me. I'd better not ever catch him peeing on his beard! LOL!

Anyways-goats are very stubborn. But they do like their food. I had a goat that was so old when we bought her that one of her horns fell off. It just dropped right off her head one morning while I was looking at her. I ran her to the vet and he said that she was very old and stuff like that happens. Well she had never been handled. She was scared to death of us. I wanted to make friends with her and I found out she likes PB and J sandwiches. Don't ask me how. So I started making her a sandwich everynite and I would take it out to her and let her eat it as long as she took it from my hand. Bite by bite. Soon she would run out to me and she befriended me in just a few weeks. I think she started to trust me because I did the same thing at the same time every day. It broke my heart when she passed. But she had a good long life.

All my goats wear dog collars. Makes it easier to hook them to a lead rope and drag them home by. Because they are gonna get out. They do not like fences. Not even an electric fence can keep them in. I want to try razor wire next time!! Just kidding.

Back
Top Bottom