Do Male Guinea crow?

Laurelm

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
San Diego County
I have 4 keets that are about 10 weeks old and I have been listening to them "talk" for a while now but this morning I heard the stangest sound - could it have been a male guinea crowing? Do they crow?

Also is a male guinea called a Rooster?

Thank you.

sorry but guinea's don't crow. The male guinea fowl is called a cock and a female guinea fowl is called a hen.

Last edited:
Yes...they are dinosaurs. It is like Jurassic park in our backyard.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
l
hornpic.jpg
I love the little dinosaur horn they have too.

The males will make a single note sound like "chi chi chi chi chi chi chi" and females make a two syllable sound kind of like "buck- wheat"

I have 4 keets that are about 10 weeks old and I have been listening to them "talk" for a while now but this morning I heard the stangest sound - could it have been a male guinea crowing? Do they crow?

Also is a male guinea called a Rooster?

Thank you.
I have one Male Guinea fowl and 3 chickens and I hear crowing of a morning. We used to have a rooster, but not now. He maybe mimicking the rooster. There is no other explanation.

I have one Male Guinea fowl and 3 chickens and I hear crowing of a morning. We used to have a rooster, but not now. He maybe mimicking the rooster. There is no other explanation.
I believe that you are mistaken. Guineas do not crow. They make a number of different calls but crowing is not one of them.

I believe that you are mistaken. Guineas do not crow. They make a number of different calls but crowing is not one of them.
Its either the Guinea fowl or the chickens and Im pretty sure its not the chickens. Ive never seen a stray rooster with our mob either. I need to find out what it is, its got me so curious and thus thinking it may be the Guinea (named Vinny).

Its either the Guinea fowl or the chickens and Im pretty sure its not the chickens. Ive never seen a stray rooster with our mob either. I need to find out what it is, its got me so curious and thus thinking it may be the Guinea (named Vinny).
People without roosters in their chicken flock have had hens that crow. I have never seen anyone claim a guinea can crow. I have never heard any of my guineas make anything that sounds like a crow.

Last edited:
Wow, you have quite the mystery! I’d be looking more carefully through your flock of hens than at the guineas...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom